I need help picking mobo and cpu

the only intel processors that have the multiplier unlocked are the extreme editions, and those are usually around $1k

the Phenom II, i5, and i7 are all about even in gaming, though in more CPU intensive apps like video encoding the i5 and i7 would do better, though both are more expensive than the Phenom II

ghosttoast54

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
how sure are u about that i myself think intel is better and i plan to switch to nvideo i dnt think amd mobo worlk with nvideo .how sure are u that the multiplyer is locked because i seen everywhere overlcoking i5 guild and stuff

i am very sure that between intel and amd, gaming is the same

all of that over clocking is done through the bclk, not the multiplier

a NV card will work fine in that motherboard, though just don't expect to be able to use sli on it

with the i5/i7 system, many of the motherboards support both crossfire and sli

ghosttoast54

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
i also want a fast processer for multitasking as well. what does blck mean and i am kinda nooby at overclocking as well. i see u have a amd ati setup ur setup looks prett good. i would also want to sli.

blck is the base clock where the cpu is determined, bclk x mult = cpu speed, so for the intel platform you raise blck (unless you have an extreme edition), on AMD its the same thing unless the procesor is a black edition, though right now are a low cheaper

if you really want an sli system i would go intel just because NV's chipsets are pretty bad since the nForce4 days

though have you though about giving ATI a go?

thanks for the comment about my system, i actually added the second 4870 not too long ago, $160 to upgrade to the performance of a $400 GPU (5870)

ghosttoast54

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

i have a 4890 its really good. but the mean greenies have pysxics and games have less issues . and so can u oc a 15 with exterm edtion

ghosttoast54

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

also plz help me find an eviliant of my mobo and a really good i5

im not the best with intel mobo's, but this one supports sli @ x8/x8

EDIT: the only i5 that is worth going for really is the i5-750, as it is a quad core, all of the other i5's are dual cores w/ hyperthreading

quite a bit more than the board you chose for the AMD solution
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131407

or you could go with an AsRock one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157172

like i said, for a pure gaming system, AMD would be fine, though i would suggest AMD + ATI CF since NV's chipsets aren't that great. Though there are plenty of people that are happy with AMD + NV SLI

ghosttoast54

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

also im definaly getting 8gbs btw and since im getting an i5 do i have to use 6gb or something

i wouldn't worry about the optimal settings of Metro 2033, unless you are getting 2 x GTX480

the difference in ram is more than likely close to un-noticeable tbh, its just nice to have if you have memory sensitive apps

LGA1156 processors only have 2 memory channels so don't worry about groups of three, ie 8GB will run in dual channel just fine

do you know what video card(s) you are getting?

ghosttoast54

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

im gunna deal with the video cards a bit later my 4890 is pretty good for now

so all that *** will fit in the haf 922 right

ghosttoast54

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

and what do u mean memory sesitive apps is there any advantage to haveing the other ram

the HAF922 is actually closer to a full tower than mid tower, it will be able to fit everything just fine

by memory sensitive apps, i mean apps that read and write to memory many times, games not so much, honestly the best reason to get low latency memory is to OC better, since if a clock is unstable on the memory you can up the latency and voltage to gain stability

idk, maybe you could get another 4890 in crossfire for like $200 and get GTX480 performance out of a system

ghosttoast54

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009

i bought all the stuf and he more expensive ram and put it toagather and now im getting blue sreccn of death hard dirve error