Sign in with
Your question

Differnces between two mobile Intel core i7. Dell Latitude

Last response: in CPUs
April 17, 2010 10:04:09 PM

Hello. This question is not Apple related, but it is a general question about 2 different Mobile Core i7 CPUs.

Intel® Core™ i7-620M (2.66GHz, 4M cache) with Turbo Boost Technology I believe this is what Apple uses in their $2199 MacBook Pro 15". From my understanding it is an arrendale chip, and is DUO core. So it has 2 physical cores on one die. Are each core 2.66GHz, or do both cores add up to be 2.66GHz? this chip also has integrated Intel graphics, but I can still get a desecrate graphics option if i chose. this cpu should be more energy efficient due to its lower TDP of 35 watts?

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM (1.60GHz, 6M cache) with Turbo Boost Technology This is a quad core i7 mobile CPU. will it run slower because it is 1.6GHz vs the 2.66GHz above? Does this processor has 4 physical cores on one or two dies? I also understand it has no integrated graphics. From wikipedia it says this is a clarksfield CPU.

It should have shorter battery life because it has a TDP of 45 watts

I just want the experts to confirm this, and tell me the advantages of the 4 core vs 2 core chips. What kind of apps would I need to use to notice better performance on the quad core? Would there be any difference in speed when browsing the web, word processing, and iTunes?

The 2.66 Ghz chip is in a Latitude E6410 that I'm looking at, and the 1.6GHz chi is in the Latitude E6510 that I'm looking at. the price difference between these two systems is $110 with the specs the way I want it.

Thanks
April 18, 2010 2:15:02 AM

Anyone? i'm not very educated about this? Could someone please give me a hand?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2010 3:11:49 AM

Stay with the Latitude E6410 with the 620m dual core. Heat and power issues are more important on a laptop than desktop. And in this case, the quad has to be clocked more than 1 GHz less and still uses more power. What you gain in extra cores you lose in lost clock speed and higher power usage.

The quad is 4 physical core on 1 die. It does not have on chip graphics. Its integrated graphics would be part of the motherboard chipset. Its a power hungry desktop chip used in a laptop whereas the 620 is designed for low power, low heat use.

m
l
May 8, 2010 1:49:30 AM

Thanks for the reply. But doing everyday tasks, iTunes, web browsing, email, MS office, handbreak and Adobe photoshop elements would the Quad Core before faster? I also use the free windows maker. So would I benifit in speed and performance. Battery life is not too important. Speed comes 1st.
m
l
!