Sign in with
Your question

Ati 5850 temps

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 2, 2010 7:57:18 PM

I just bought a Sapphire 5850. My idle temps are 50 degrees celcius and load temps are 70. I have good case cooling and I've left everything at stock. Are these normal temperatures for this card? my 5770 was only 30/45.

More about : ati 5850 temps

a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 8:04:35 PM

your idle is high, its probly clocking iself as ~400 core and ~600 memory (give or take 100, not sure) instead of 137core 300 memory(2d power savings mode). are you running a dual monitor setup?

your load temps seem ok to me. my 5870s load is around 78c.
my idle is ~32-36c at 147core 300 memory.

Edit: if your card is idleing more than 137 core then go to CCC overdrive settings and try overclocking/underclocking your card minimum 1 click (either memory or core) and see if that solves your porblem, it did for me and my dual monitor setup.
February 2, 2010 8:18:07 PM

I turned of my second display. the clocks and temps have gone down. but I really need the second monitor.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 8:24:54 PM

if your card is idleing more than 137 core then go to CCC overdrive settings and try overclocking/underclocking your card minimum 1 click (either memory or core) and see if that solves your porblem, it did for me and my dual monitor setup.

Forgot to put this in my first message. I think you got to it before I edited it.
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2010 8:44:28 PM

A few ° lower than my 5870, looks fine to me!
GPU's are designed to take quite a bit of heat.
With your low temps, it is not even breaking a sweat.

Unfortunately ATI is having their first spat of driver issues in quite some time.
With two displays your card is supposed to keep its idle clocks slightly raised for stability purposes (400/1200 on a 5870, yours might differ slightly).
When using Overdrive to over/underclock the GPU, the idle clocks default to their single display lows (157/300) and causes corruption on the second display.
Hopefully ATI will have this issue resolved with their next driver release....
February 3, 2010 9:15:23 AM

Tried lowering the clocks but any changes when using dual monitors causes flickering. Gonna move it into a full tower with double top exhausts for extra cooling. Hopefully ati will fix this soon. Thanks for all your replies.
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 9:31:21 AM

If your temps are really concerning you, you should be able to manually bump the fan speed without changing the clocks.
In Overdrive, leave the clock speeds at stock and try running the fan at 25-30% (go higher or lower depending on your noise tolerance).

TBH though, your temps really are fine.
While a new case may help shave a few ° off, there really is no need.
February 3, 2010 9:38:47 AM

Yeah I thought about that aswell. I've got a spare full tower so won't be spending any extra money and would only like to organize the cables better.
!