Sign in with
Your question

Internet constantly cuts out

Last response: in Networking
January 13, 2010 5:11:53 PM

Hey. i have a belkin g+mimo router and a comcast phone+cable modem. for some reason like the last year or so the internet constantly cuts out. it gets fast then slow then fast again and so on. can someone tell me the problem? i switched back to my netgear g router and it worked fine for like 3 days and now its even worse. someone please help! should i just buy a new one? thanks.
Anonymous
January 13, 2010 5:23:00 PM

Check it with an ethernet cable between router and computer instead of wirless. That should help isolate the source of the issue.

Chances are, using wireless you are suffering interference.
m
l
January 13, 2010 6:45:21 PM

I have my p?c connected directly to the router. As well as two pcs wireless and 2 laptops wireless and my xbox 360 to the router.

So yeah
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
January 14, 2010 1:33:58 AM

If you think it's wireless interference try changing channels -- bear in mind that different channels may work better or worse in different environments -- so if users are scattered around premises what's good for one user may not be for another.

If you can detect neighbouring wifi networks choose a channel 5 stops from the strongest neighbour -- though that advice conflicts with the above, it demonstrates the complexity of the issue.

Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc away from router.
m
l
January 31, 2010 10:25:59 AM

The problem is with your ISP. :) 

This usually happens because the ISP's server's are overloaded. A lot of ISP's have this problem lately. They tend to overload their servers before buying new ones, causing the client (YOU) to suffer in the process, also paying for internet service that your not getting.

I'd recommend contacting your ISP and telling them to stop overloading their servers. Also the constant breakup's in the connection your experiencing is also your ISP :)  It could be interference but very rarely is, in most cases its the ISP messing around
m
l
!