rwjuijlenbroek

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Dear,

Please help me!

I have updated my system.
First with a ASUS P5Q SE Plus MB, a ASUS EN GTS 250 1G Grafic Card, 2x OCR 2GB memory (5-5-5-15) and Windows 7 Professional.

I have put my Dual Core 6400 back into the new MB. Installed everything and everything runs smooth and stable.

I have updated all drives, BIOSes and chipset updates. And still everything was fine. All installed software runs perfectly.http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/bounce.gif

After another month I updated the processor to the Q9550. During start up the BIOS asked to use Default settings. I confirmed and when the 'Desktop' shows, the troubles started.http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/fou.gif

I got Blue Screan of Deadth of BSOD with several codes (0X0000003b, 50, 24, 0a, 7e; most of the time it was 3b).

I was confused because the 6400 was doning great and the new (faster one) gave big troubles.

I went back to the after sales department of the sales company. They told me that they have tested it (even twice), but nothing seems to be wrong with the processor.

Can somebody give me a clue what the problem is and, even more important, the solution?

Many thanks and best regards,
Ron

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Couple things come to mind here.

1. Did you possibly bend a pin in the motherboard?

2. Is the heatsink/fan properly seated?

3. You may have updated the BIOS to a version that does not support the Q9550, try another BIOS version. (maybe one below the one you are currently at)

Wolfshadw

Titan
Typically, I'd agree with you, Vanekl, but 1) The OP already stated he updated the BIOS (not sure why) and 2) according to the CPU Compatibility list on the ASUS web site, both processors were tested OK using the original BIOS (1407). So, unless the OP actually has a Q9550s, the original BIOS should work for both CPUs.

@rwjuijlenbroek - If you could verify what BIOS version you are running, it might help.

-Wolf sends

vanekl

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

Sorry, I missed that.

The second thing I would try is swapping out the GTS 250 for a low-end video card and see how that affects your system. Preferably a non-Nvidia video card so that you would be using a different video driver.

Also try booting up in safe-mode.

vanekl

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I would also try turning off as many non-essential services as possible and see if that has any affect.

The reasoning is that you are blue-screening when services are being started.

Also check your system logs for errors.

Does Device Manager show any warnings?

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
vanekl, changing out the video card and killing processes will not have anything to do with what he has going on here as none of this effects changing the CPU at all...

vanekl

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

You may be right, but look at the time that the blue screen occurs: at the same time that services are being started. It's worth a shot, and it certainly wont hurt anything. The more tests, the more information.