nate1232

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
So I just built this pc about a week and a half ago, and its running very nicely. The only issue is that the WEI is giving my SSD a 5.9 rating.

I've been looking around on google and it seems the culprit is usually AHCI needing to be enabled. I checked in the bios, and AHCI is enabled and Registry (msahci) is "0". I ran the AS SSD Benchmark and was getting read speeds of ~500 and write ~250, with a score of ~610 so it seems like everything is how it is supposed to be. I made sure the SSD is plugged into 6GB/s SATA port (gray and first SATA port)

What else could be the issue? I don't think anything's wrong with the SSD, speeds look good. With a minimum of 7.5 on my other components, this is kinda bugging me.

Thanks!

danimaltheanimal13

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
hi i have a crucial m4 64 gb and when i first installed it i was getting the same score. then i updated to a 64 bit version of the OS doing a clean install and i refreshed the rating and now its 7.6. Im not saying do a clean install of the o.s. just try refreshing the WEI.

nate1232

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm currently using win7 64bit, and I have tried refreshing WEI multiple times, and I'm still getting the exact same score.

I could always reinstall windows since thats really the only thing on my ssd, but it'd be a pain since i'd have to re-do my registry changes to auto download to D drive

Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

I had a WEI score of 5.9 for my "hard disk" after installing a Crucial M4 128 GB SSD. I disconnected my hard disk (now my d-drive) that still has Windows 7 installed, repeated the test and the score was 7.9. From what I understand the WEI score is limited by any attached drive with Windows installed, even if that installation isn't being used.

nate1232

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
My OS is on my C drice - the SSD. On my HDD is all my programs, games, music etc there is no OS on it at all. I suppose I could try unplugging it anyways and trying it, but I believe I already did that when I first set it up

nate1232

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I'm using the Asus P8P67 WS Revolution. It has 4 SATA ports. The top is the 6BG/s, the next 2 are 3GB/s, and the lat is the Marvell 6GB/s. My SSD is plugged into the top one, using the 6GB/s cord provided

I have Windows 7 64bit installed on my SSD drive and 5x 3tb WD drives connect and my WEI score is still 7.9.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Yes, when you have an HDD and SSD together it gives the lower rating for the HDD in wei.
When i first installed Windows on my SSD i had a fairly good 7.6 score for my SSD. Once i dropped the HDD in wei stated "your hardware has changed, please run the asessment again" or something like that under my computer properties. Once ran your score will be lowered to the HDD score.

Have never had that problem I have one 90gig SSD and five 3tb WD with Windows 7 installed on my SSD and my WEI HDD score is 7.9 and has never changed. Just refreshed my score and it is still 7.9.

Shi no Tenshi

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I second this. I have a 120GB Chronos Deluxe and a Seagate 1TB, and it shows 7.9 for me.

nate1232

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Hearing that makes it bug me even more lol. I have a 120GB OCZ SSD and a 500GB WD HDD.

Are there any programs that rate your computer in a similar fashion, but more accurately? Just so I can compare and see if its just WEI messing up

fizzle22

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Make sure that the "Primary Hard Disk" is in fact your SSD. The WEI score only tests for your primary drives so, as others have said, other drives should not be a factor.

Make sure superfetch, disk defrag, and indexing are all disabled.

Otherwise I have no idea. I recently bought a Samsung SSD and did a fresh OS install, hooked up my other 2 HDDs that had my programs/music and switched from IDE to AHCI. Got a score of 7.6.

nate1232

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Disc defrag was off on the SSD, but i'm not sure about the others.

When I checked AHCI it was enabled by default, I never touched it. I guess this is just a big mystery :??:

futureminime

Distinguished
May 29, 2012
Sorry to revive an old thread but I just built my computer, had the same problem and found out the solution.

My original WEI for my primary HDD was 7.9 with my SSD, but when I went to look again, it said as omega21xx mentioned "your hardware has changed, please run the asessment again" and I got a 5.9 like above.

The upon looking around it turns out to be that 5.9 is the max rating for a disk drive, and it was measuring my barracuda. The problem is that it appears the WEI for your primary HDD is not your boot drive but is taken from the registry, the programfilesdir (or the x86 version) and as a result when you edit that field to install all your programs it lowers your score.

The only real confirmation I have for that is when I changed it back to C:/ my score went back to 7.9.

nate1232

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Wow, thanks for the update!

Are you able to tell me how to change the registry entry to rate my boot drive? I don't do much tinkering around there - The biggest thing I've done is make automatic downloads go to the D: drive, and even then I followed a step by step :p

iiianydayiii

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
I had the same problem with an Intel 320 series 80 gig SSD. AHCI was enabled in BIOS and my drivers and windows configuration were all in order. I even removed my other 3 drives from my system to help narrow down the issue. I decided to check the log file 2012-10-24 22.55.23.417 Disk.Assessment (Recent).WinSAT.xml located in c:\windows\performance\winsat\datastore. This line jumped out at me - Responsiveness Reason="UnableToAssess" Kind="Cap">TRUE /Responsiveness. So I googled that and found another, more intelligent person (Frank Tovar's Blog) had determined that WEI requires a 1 gig contiguous block of free space to complete or it dumps you a 5.9 rating. To get this free space you have to defragment the drive or uninstall software then defrag until you have that 1 gig to get anything close to an accurate assessment. He recommended a freeware defrag utility which I used. I ran the command line version 3-4 passes until nothing more could be moved and re-ran WEI. Now after spending 5 hours of trying to get this thing to give me my WEI of 7.4, I have to wonder if it was worth all of the hell. I'd say not. So, if your drive gives expected performance there is no reason to give two craps about the WEI rating. If you really need to know if your drive is performing well, there are better, more accurate benchmarks for your drive's performance.

nate1232

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012

This is a neat find, however I don't believe it is my issue. I have 50gb left out of 120 and I still get the 5.9 rating. I'm pretty sure my SDD is running properly, my computer boots to the desktop in around 10 seconds, but it'd be nice to have a little confirmation

ambermile

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
I suspect you have basically thought "I no longer need the onboard IDE, I shall disable it in BIOS"... ? Try re-enabling it and re-running the WEI test again... after the ssd drivers get installed because now the system knows what you have that is. Took me a good two weeks to figure this myself.

Arthur

Ramsdal

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
This solved the problem for me (Windows 7 x64 w/Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD, standard MSACHI driver).

My WEI suddenly dropped from 7.8 to 5.9. I tried everything, updating drivers, new firmware, formatting, but no improvement.

Here is the solution that worked for me:
(Make sure TRIM is enabled, and AHCI mode is enabled)

WEI disk test needs 1GB continuous space to test the disk properly. It doesn't matter if you have several GB's free as long as it not continuous.

1. Use the built-in disk defragmention tool to defragment files and consolidate free space. (I know, you shouldn't do this with a SSD disk, but believe me, it works!)
(Maybe a good idea to do some cleanup on your disk first with CCleaner etc. to get rid of useless junk files to free more space).
2. Next use CCleaner, under tools you will find Drive Wiper. Use this to wipe the free space on your SSD.
3. Let the computer idle for a while so that the TRIM function can do it's job properly, reboot.
4. Re-run WEI and see if it worked.

I got a new score from 5.9 to 7.7 when doing this!

JSR
Norway

pyck

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013

God Deamn You're right!!! My Win7's Defragmentator did his job in 2 minutes, I ran assessment tool again and it jumped to from 5.9 to 7.9 for sata III SSD. Thanks a lotttttt!!!!!

Stocklone

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
I just want to say I was stuck on 5.9 with my 500GB Samsung Evo for the longest time with Windows 7 64-bit. After reading this, I decided to unhook my external USB drive in case it was the problem before doing the test. And the scored jumped from 5.9 to 7.9! Problem finally solved.