Xfx ATI Radeon HD 5970 in 790i

furthermoredesign

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Hello,
my 280 gtx just died, and I need to get a new card, I am using a xfx 790i Sli ultra mb, and i was thinking of getting a xfx ATI Radeon™ HD 5970, my question is will there be any problems since that single card uses crossfire. I need something soon since the old 9800Gx2 I'm using now is on it's last leg too. I've got to stop buying refurbished stuff lol

Solution
If your crossfire is on the card (as is the 5970) then the board does not need to support crossfire for it to work, as it is bridged within the card.

furthermoredesign

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
oh and if your wondering why i am lookking at such a powerful card for an old system, I am buying new stuff piece by piece, and since my old one died and i can use the new one now i figured I'd buy it 1st

furthermoredesign

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
well unfortunately i can't find a 5970 anywhere that I trust to buy from, everyone is sold out, or the price is jack up over $750 lol, so i just ordered a 5870, I guess in a few months when I have everything else together I should be able to pick up a second one cheap anyways, thanks again for all your help.