5850 xfire @ pcie 8x 2.0, any performance loss?

i currently have 1 5850, but I might end up buying a second in the future when they are cheap (maybe 5-6 months from now). my mobo has pcie 2.0 x16 for 1 gpu and x8 + x8 for 2. would this cause a drop in performance with this gpu? I know that with past gpus (i had 2 4850s in xfire) it wasn't an issue. and yes I know that the 2 5850s would probably be limited by my cpu but my phenom II 940 is doing its job just fine for now and besides ocing I really don't see too much benefit in an i7.
12 answers Last reply
More about 5850 xfire pcie performance loss
  1. bump
  2. A lot of benchmarks have shown that the performance hit when using X-Fire and 2 X8 PCIex lanes is minor. So you can go ahead and add the extra card.
  3. 5850 is fast and i think it will be fine running x8 on the 2nd pcie slot... :)
    Your system will be great with that phenom II, make sure your PSU can handle both of the cards.
  4. wa1 said:
    5850 is fast and i think it will be fine running x8 on the 2nd pcie slot... :)
    Your system will be great with that phenom II, make sure your PSU can handle both of the cards.

I have a 700 watt ocz stealthxstream. hows that? I think it should be fine.
  5. yes.. u will be fine... :D
  6. Go for it, you won't be dissappointed, unless you are expecting your new hardware to cure cancer, because it won't. srsly
  7. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/p55-pci-express-scaling,review-31780-10.html

x16/x16 crossfire is about 4% faster than x8/x8 acording to this article. Not that much different.
  8. paperfox said:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/p55-pci-express-scaling,review-31780-10.html

x16/x16 crossfire is about 4% faster than x8/x8 acording to this article. Not that much different.

Agreed.
  9. thanks guys!
  10. Quote:
    no btw. I dont think so.

Care to show us some links?
  11. paperfox said:
    Care to show us some links?

Don't feed the troll. Okini has no computer experience, only what he read and misunderstood. He can't articulate a single sentence without an interjection or without going all teen on the subject. He is a teenager who just wants attention which apparently he can't get anywhere else.
  12. Quote:
    lalalalalalalalalalala !!!!!!!! =D =D ^^ !!!!

nah.. here we go again...
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Performance GPUs Graphics