Add a new router to existing gateway

tiggertiffin87

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I currently have a Motorola Wireless Cable Modem Gateway (SBG900). I have my laptop connecting wirelessly to that and have vonage phone adapter physically connected. I have no more ports left and would like to connect the desktop that's currently connected through the vonage phone adapter to the modem. Would just adding a new router be the easiest way?

Right now neither my laptop (Vista) or my desktop (XP) are seeing each other when I try to network and I think it's because the desktop is connected to the network through the vonage phone adapter.

It sucks that the gateway only has a single ethernet port on the back :(

Solution
Since it looks like your modem is a gateway/router all in one you should be able to just put a 4 or 5 port switch in between the modem and the vonage unit. All computers, except wireless, would connect to the switch.

sturm

Splendid
Since it looks like your modem is a gateway/router all in one you should be able to just put a 4 or 5 port switch in between the modem and the vonage unit. All computers, except wireless, would connect to the switch.

Solution

tiggertiffin87

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Would a wireless print server work the same way? I was looking at best buy and see that it'll let me add my printer and an external drive to the network (2 usb ports) and also give me 4 ethernet ports (for the vonage phone adapter and the desktop).

sturm

Splendid

Yes one of those will work the same way, but I would turn off the wireless part on the modem/gateway and only use the wireless on the new router. This way you only have to worry about one network.