Few questions about adding an SSD to an existing desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
What's up guys. Have a few questions about adding an SSD to an existing system. This Crucial M4 has been sitting around because i'm too afraid of messing up my current files on the hdd during installation...but i get it installed. I've done so much research and it seems there are so many different ways people are doing it.

1. If i do a fresh windows install onto the SSD can i use the same Windows 7 product key/license? I'm assuming it wouldn't let me because the system would think i'm trying to download Windows 7 onto someone else's computer using the same CD. Will the OS just be installed on both drives?

2. After installing Windows 7 onto the SSD what is the best way to transfer files onto it from the HDD then use the HDD as a storage drive? Is this what AHCI mode is?

Lol maybe i'm complicating things but i basically just want the SSD as the primary OS drive and the HDD as a storage drive. Appreciate any helps guys. I'm a N00B.

Solution
The best thing to do is a fresh install, and if you have a full Windows 7 install disk you should be able to do another install, but if you've used up your installs a call to MS will allow another at no cost. Just prior to the new install, enable AHCI in your bios. AHCI enables some of the advanced features of the drive. During the SSD OS install it is best if you disconnect all other HDDs so that your SRP ends up on the SSD.

After installing the OS, optimize your SSD, here is one guide: http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

Once the SSD is installed, re-attach your HDD and you can drag and drop files that you want on the SSD.

RealBeast

Titan
The best thing to do is a fresh install, and if you have a full Windows 7 install disk you should be able to do another install, but if you've used up your installs a call to MS will allow another at no cost. Just prior to the new install, enable AHCI in your bios. AHCI enables some of the advanced features of the drive. During the SSD OS install it is best if you disconnect all other HDDs so that your SRP ends up on the SSD.

After installing the OS, optimize your SSD, here is one guide: http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

Once the SSD is installed, re-attach your HDD and you can drag and drop files that you want on the SSD.

Solution

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks man. I've only installed it once since i bought it a couple weeks ago and i'm pretty sure i didn't even activate it yet. Is there a program in Windows that will allow me to drag and drop the files or will it just guide me through it during the installation?

RealBeast

Titan
You would just need to attach the drive after the new install on the SSD to manually move files. Now if you are talking about migrating other programs and data you might be better off cloning your drive to the SSD with something like Easeus Todo Backup (http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm) or something similar, although I would opt for a clean install and moving files as a first choice.

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Gotcha. I'll definitely be doing a clean install and moving the files like you suggested. Just one more question then i'll stop bothering you lol. I should install/download all of the drivers again correct? (gpu, mobo, etc.)

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, after the new install you will need to reinstall drivers and update, so go with the latest drivers. Also, as soon as you finish that it is a good idea to create a system repair disk, which can come in handy -- just type system repair disk into the start window box.

Status
Not open for further replies.