Sign in with
Your question

ATi prices to drop by the end of the month for 5xxx cards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 3, 2010 2:20:58 AM

If Nvidia's GF100 chip or GTX 470 and GTX 480 cards are launching by the end of this month, wouldn't it make sense for an ATi price cut? ATi no long has the splendor of being the only DirectX 11 card manufacturer, which hopefully means that they will do some price slashing. The gap between a new 4890 and a new 5850 is a mere 5 fps in Crysis, but is that really worth an extra $100 and your soul? These 5xxx cards are too expensive.

Which brings me to my next question... My HIS 4890 died a few days ago and I'm in need of a new card... Should I keep my card after the RMA process or should I send it to eBay and use the cash to buy a 5850 (with an additional $150 from my wallet)? Or should I upgrade my AMD Phenom II X3 720 to a 965? I have an older 4550 I'm going to use until my 4890 returns.
February 3, 2010 2:41:13 AM

It depends on the price/performance ratio. We will just have to wait and see what Nvidia has to offer. I would keep the 4890 for now and see what happens. Your cpu is plenty especially if you can overclock it. You will get a bigger gain for gaming by putting that money towards a faster gpu.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 4:14:03 AM

thegeeesta said:
My HIS 4890 died a few days ago and I'm in need of a new card

kyosho said:
I would keep the 4890 for now and see what happens.

That's really going to help.

@OP, if you have or can get a cheap card to tide you over a few weeks then that's what I would do, as there is no real way of predicting what will happen as far as pricing is concerned.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 4:38:05 AM

Mousemonkey said:
That's really going to help.

@OP, if you have or can get a cheap card to tide you over a few weeks then that's what I would do, as there is no real way of predicting what will happen as far as pricing is concerned.

" Should I keep my card after the RMA process "

Fail reading by a mod lol. Hes going to RMA the card. He doesnt need to spend money.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 4:51:52 AM

thegeeesta said:
Should I keep my card after the RMA process or should I send it to eBay and use the cash to buy a 5850 (with an additional $150 from my wallet)? Or should I upgrade my AMD Phenom II X3 720 to a 965? I have an older 4550 I'm going to use until my 4890 returns.

Truhls said:
" Should I keep my card after the RMA process "

Fail reading by a mod lol. Hes going to RMA the card. He doesnt need to spend money.

The question the OP asked was "ATi prices to drop by the end of the month for 5xxx cards?", that together with the fact that the idea of selling the 4890 on ebay was put forth by OP would suggest to me that you are more likely to be the one who has had a comprehension failure.
m
l
February 3, 2010 5:07:51 AM

What I was suggesting is that He keeps the 4890 after the rma...using his 4550 in the mean time. Then wait a bit longer if needed till nvidia releases some new cards. Price drops are likely soon.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 5:18:16 AM

kyosho said:
What I was suggesting is that He keeps the 4890 after the rma...using his 4550 in the mean time. Then wait a bit longer if needed till nvidia releases some new cards. Price drops are likely soon.

Thank you for clearing that up.
m
l
February 3, 2010 5:21:29 AM

Why is everyone picking on you mouse? this is the 2nd thread i read today where people are taking jabs at ya for useless reasons/motives?
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 5:25:01 AM

Judging how good a card is compared to others by looking at only one game is not a good idea. I'm sure there are other games where it outperforms by more then 5FPS. Its also important to look at the increase as a percentage. If the 4890 at X settings gets 5FPS and the 5850 at the same settings gets 10FPS, then its a lot faster. That said, I to am a bit disappointed with the speed of the 5xxx cards.

I'm not sure where you get this end of the month stuff from. I haven't heard anything that says the due date is Feb XX. I've heard March sometime, and even then mostly a paper launch. Real availability isn't expected until April or May. A price cut is coming, but I doubt it will be in the next few weeks.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 5:36:27 AM

I highly doubt buying a card to tide you over until you can make a choice will save you money. From most of what has been said, Nvidia is not likely going to release a lot of these new cards, and they are likely to be expensive.

If the new cards end up being priced with comparable price to performance ratios, there wouldn't be much reason for ATI prices to drop. If they do drop, I don't forsee them droping enough in price to cover the extra video card, unless you get something unable to play games at an reasonable level.

So, I'd say, use an older card you might have laying around and wait a month, or just purchase something now.

You might consider a crossfire setup instead. That way you take half the risk of what might change in the future. Get a card that might cost a little more now than in a month, then get the 2nd card when the price could be lower.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 5:45:00 AM

MiamiU said:
Why is everyone picking on you mouse? this is the 2nd thread i read today where people are taking jabs at ya for useless reasons/motives?

:lol:  Who can say what goes on in the minds of others.
m
l
February 3, 2010 6:30:52 AM

I just cant see ATI dropping their prices because when Nvidia release the new cards they will probably end up being ridiculously priced and the 5*** cards will probably still be selling like hot cakes!

Wish they would so I can get me another 5870!
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 8:19:48 AM

I don't see much in the way of price drops until mid year when some new CPU's are said to be being released.
Nothing has dropped price noticeably for a while now as people are keeping the money in wallet these days so selling cheap in bulk doesn't work in this climate.
Those that are buying now are those that need to but or have the funds to buy regardless of price and the short fall, profit wise in volume sales is being offset by price increases or just holding prices at a certain level.
I think its going to take a pretty bold pricing move from Nvidia before we see any move from AMD/ATI.

Mactronix
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 10:28:52 AM

Mouse took a jab at someone by being sarcastic in a reply to them when he didnt read it right. So why SHOULDNT someone take a jab at him, is real the question.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 10:50:28 AM

Truhls said:
Mouse took a jab at someone by being sarcastic in a reply to them when he didnt read it right. So why SHOULDNT someone take a jab at him, is real the question.

You're the one who cannot read properly pal.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 11:30:02 AM

SO you bolded his card died, then quote the part that says the guy should use the same card.....and youre trying to tell me it WASNT meant to be sarcastic?

You keep highlighting a bunch of trash that has nothing to do with my reply. I was only replying to you about Your jab at the second post. Nothing else.
m
l
February 3, 2010 11:35:28 AM

I don't think ATI will lower their price until they feel sales are hurting because of too high prices. I doubt this will occur in February. It's possible they could lower prices, not because of competition from NV, but as the economy continues to deteriorate, people may pass on spending on high end video cards.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 11:42:53 AM

Truhls said:
SO you bolded his card died, then quote the part that says the guy should use the same card.....and youre trying to tell me it WASNT meant to be sarcastic?

You keep highlighting a bunch of trash that has nothing to do with my reply. I was only replying to you about Your jab at the second post. Nothing else.

If you want to have a pop at me because you don't like my posts then do it via PM's, you are not contributing to this thread in any way so help or leave.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 11:52:01 AM

Ive heard a few rumors of a Feb release, and many more of a March release.
Either way, nVidias pricing, and Fermis performance will have to challenge ATIs cards at their pricepoints in order for there to be any significant price drops.
ATI may lower prices slightly, just due to the fact therell be competition out there, but if they arent challenged, dont expect large drops, IMHO
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 12:07:50 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the Nvidia cards at launch don't directly compete with the ATI cards in a price/performance sense so price drops may be minimal or nonexistent.
Saying the HD5850 is a marginal upgrade over the HD4890 is just nonsense. At 1920x1080 it is approximately 25% more powerful and that's ignoring that the card can OC like crazy, beyond the performance of the HD5870 if you are willing to up the voltage. The card has advantages beyond pure performance as well. Here is one for $270 using promocode EMCYNYN62
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
February 3, 2010 12:25:26 PM

"At 1920x1080 it is approximately 25% more powerful and that's ignoring that the card can OC like crazy, beyond the performance of the HD5870 if you are willing to up the voltage. The card has advantages beyond pure performance as well."

How good are the 5850 and 5870 at overclocking? I havnt really seen alot about the overclocking potenial of the 5***'s.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 12:37:00 PM

Supposedly the HD5850 OCs very well up to around the clock speeds of the HD5870. The HD5870 less so as it is already highly optimized it seems. That is without raising the voltage of the core. With a bump in voltage they can both supposedly get over 1000mhz on the core.
m
l
February 3, 2010 12:41:48 PM

I dont think that I would bother overclocking my 5870, buts nice to know that if i did then it could go over 1000mhz!!!

That would be sweet!
m
l
February 3, 2010 2:14:04 PM

overclocking a 5870 is insane at this point in time.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 3:05:04 PM

maximiza said:
overclocking a 5870 is insane at this point in time.

It is? Seams people are always want more power out of there system to me.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 3:15:16 PM

To the OP: Id just stick with a 4890 for now, and wait and see what NVIDIA does.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 4:32:14 PM

I don't think the new nvidia cards are going to affect ATI's prices at all. Given the current prices of nvidia's DX10 cards, and the pent-up demand, I'll bet they come out costing $600.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised to see the price of the 58xx series come down on their own, simply because we're fast approaching the point where all the people willing to pay $400 for a 5870 will have done so.

edit: oh, also -- just keep the 4890 for now. It's pretty close to the 5850 in performance. You don't need DX11 yet. And if you wait a while, when the time for DX11 comes, you can get a better card than the 5850, and for cheaper.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 4:53:27 PM

Just a recap, his 4890 died, he has a 4550 to tie himself over.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 5:06:18 PM

^^ and to recap again, the OP said that he has the ability to RMA that 4890... lol history repeats itself again. :) 

I say keep the 4890, it will max out almost all games at 1920x1080 and below. Until a good DX11 game comes out that you like you should consider upgrading then, maybe by then the 5000 series and Fermi will have dropped a little.
edit: spelling
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 5:10:42 PM

Wow, he really worded things weird. Saying he needed a new card, but then saying he can RMA it. Ya, I see why this post got messed up.
m
l
March 2, 2010 6:22:16 PM

ATi doesn't even know what the fermi is going to be priced at so why would they lower their pricing? (Don't get me wrong I'd love a price drop, I just don't see it happening)

Odds are that the fermi will be expensive and inventories are going to be scarce at best. (Which is going to drive costs even further up). I honestly can't remember when nVidia has ever launched a new generation of cards at a 'reasonable' price. With the production issues they've had with fermi I don't see this launch breaking that trend.

Until all the 4x00 inventory is cleared out from the e-tailers I'm expecting the 5x00 series pricing to hold steady, barring some miracle from the nVidia team.
m
l
a c 359 U Graphics card
March 2, 2010 7:04:54 PM

thegeeesta said:
The gap between a new 4890 and a new 5850 is a mere 5 fps in Crysis, but is that really worth an extra $100 and your soul? These 5xxx cards are too expensive.

The performance difference in Crysis in this particular review for very high settings is 4FPS; HD 4980 = 20FPS and HD 5850 = 24 FPS. That works out to a 20% increase in performance. Too small of a percentage increase for your taste?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-h...

If so then just go out and buy the HD 5870 or HD 5970 video cards. After all it's just your money and you seem to be fixated on Crysis benchmarks.
m
l
!