ATi prices to drop by the end of the month for 5xxx cards?

thegeeesta

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
If Nvidia's GF100 chip or GTX 470 and GTX 480 cards are launching by the end of this month, wouldn't it make sense for an ATi price cut? ATi no long has the splendor of being the only DirectX 11 card manufacturer, which hopefully means that they will do some price slashing. The gap between a new 4890 and a new 5850 is a mere 5 fps in Crysis, but is that really worth an extra $100 and your soul? These 5xxx cards are too expensive.

Which brings me to my next question... My HIS 4890 died a few days ago and I'm in need of a new card... Should I keep my card after the RMA process or should I send it to eBay and use the cash to buy a 5850 (with an additional $150 from my wallet)? Or should I upgrade my AMD Phenom II X3 720 to a 965? I have an older 4550 I'm going to use until my 4890 returns.

kyosho

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
It depends on the price/performance ratio. We will just have to wait and see what Nvidia has to offer. I would keep the 4890 for now and see what happens. Your cpu is plenty especially if you can overclock it. You will get a bigger gain for gaming by putting that money towards a faster gpu.

That's really going to help.

@OP, if you have or can get a cheap card to tide you over a few weeks then that's what I would do, as there is no real way of predicting what will happen as far as pricing is concerned.

Truhls

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

" Should I keep my card after the RMA process "

Fail reading by a mod lol. Hes going to RMA the card. He doesnt need to spend money.

The question the OP asked was "ATi prices to drop by the end of the month for 5xxx cards?", that together with the fact that the idea of selling the 4890 on ebay was put forth by OP would suggest to me that you are more likely to be the one who has had a comprehension failure.

kyosho

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
What I was suggesting is that He keeps the 4890 after the rma...using his 4550 in the mean time. Then wait a bit longer if needed till nvidia releases some new cards. Price drops are likely soon.

4745454b

Titan
Judging how good a card is compared to others by looking at only one game is not a good idea. I'm sure there are other games where it outperforms by more then 5FPS. Its also important to look at the increase as a percentage. If the 4890 at X settings gets 5FPS and the 5850 at the same settings gets 10FPS, then its a lot faster. That said, I to am a bit disappointed with the speed of the 5xxx cards.

I'm not sure where you get this end of the month stuff from. I haven't heard anything that says the due date is Feb XX. I've heard March sometime, and even then mostly a paper launch. Real availability isn't expected until April or May. A price cut is coming, but I doubt it will be in the next few weeks.

I highly doubt buying a card to tide you over until you can make a choice will save you money. From most of what has been said, Nvidia is not likely going to release a lot of these new cards, and they are likely to be expensive.

If the new cards end up being priced with comparable price to performance ratios, there wouldn't be much reason for ATI prices to drop. If they do drop, I don't forsee them droping enough in price to cover the extra video card, unless you get something unable to play games at an reasonable level.

So, I'd say, use an older card you might have laying around and wait a month, or just purchase something now.

You might consider a crossfire setup instead. That way you take half the risk of what might change in the future. Get a card that might cost a little more now than in a month, then get the 2nd card when the price could be lower.

marney_5

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I just cant see ATI dropping their prices because when Nvidia release the new cards they will probably end up being ridiculously priced and the 5*** cards will probably still be selling like hot cakes!

Wish they would so I can get me another 5870!

I don't see much in the way of price drops until mid year when some new CPU's are said to be being released.
Nothing has dropped price noticeably for a while now as people are keeping the money in wallet these days so selling cheap in bulk doesn't work in this climate.
Those that are buying now are those that need to but or have the funds to buy regardless of price and the short fall, profit wise in volume sales is being offset by price increases or just holding prices at a certain level.
I think its going to take a pretty bold pricing move from Nvidia before we see any move from AMD/ATI.

Mactronix

Truhls

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
SO you bolded his card died, then quote the part that says the guy should use the same card.....and youre trying to tell me it WASNT meant to be sarcastic?

You keep highlighting a bunch of trash that has nothing to do with my reply. I was only replying to you about Your jab at the second post. Nothing else.

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I don't think ATI will lower their price until they feel sales are hurting because of too high prices. I doubt this will occur in February. It's possible they could lower prices, not because of competition from NV, but as the economy continues to deteriorate, people may pass on spending on high end video cards.

If you want to have a pop at me because you don't like my posts then do it via PM's, you are not contributing to this thread in any way so help or leave.

Ive heard a few rumors of a Feb release, and many more of a March release.
Either way, nVidias pricing, and Fermis performance will have to challenge ATIs cards at their pricepoints in order for there to be any significant price drops.
ATI may lower prices slightly, just due to the fact therell be competition out there, but if they arent challenged, dont expect large drops, IMHO

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the Nvidia cards at launch don't directly compete with the ATI cards in a price/performance sense so price drops may be minimal or nonexistent.
Saying the HD5850 is a marginal upgrade over the HD4890 is just nonsense. At 1920x1080 it is approximately 25% more powerful and that's ignoring that the card can OC like crazy, beyond the performance of the HD5870 if you are willing to up the voltage. The card has advantages beyond pure performance as well. Here is one for $270 using promocode EMCYNYN62
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161302

marney_5

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
"At 1920x1080 it is approximately 25% more powerful and that's ignoring that the card can OC like crazy, beyond the performance of the HD5870 if you are willing to up the voltage. The card has advantages beyond pure performance as well."

How good are the 5850 and 5870 at overclocking? I havnt really seen alot about the overclocking potenial of the 5***'s.

Supposedly the HD5850 OCs very well up to around the clock speeds of the HD5870. The HD5870 less so as it is already highly optimized it seems. That is without raising the voltage of the core. With a bump in voltage they can both supposedly get over 1000mhz on the core.