Sign in with
Your question

First time WC

Last response: in Overclocking
November 6, 2012 11:26:48 PM

Hi, I have never done watercolling before and I want to watercool two 7970`s and i5 2500K in NZXT Phantom. I was hoping that somebody could put WC kit together for me. i know some of you will say I need to read loads of tutorials and understand everything myself and I have read them, but for me personaly it is much easier when I have the actual parts with me to experiment when I am reading/watching these tutorials. As I said I would really appreciate if someone put it al together. My budget is £400 - £500. Thanks in advance.

More about : time

a c 324 K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 1:03:04 AM

I strongly recommend reading as much as you can to learn how to choose parts, build a loop and maintain it as this is something only you will be doing. You are likely going to find that you'll need to add another 100-200 pounds to your starting budget for a loop like this, maybe more depending on several different factors.
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 4:39:58 AM

I Gotta agree with rubix- Water cooling more of a Hobby(Or a job :)  ) then a cooling solution. much like (oh man gonna get more hate for this) collecting Comic Books. look on you tube and you can find a lot of video of people laying everything out and then putting on together. you can get lost for hours watching the vids even just trying to find something the guy did wrong- lol.

Good luck to you.
Related resources
November 7, 2012 6:22:40 AM

thequn said:
I Gotta agree with rubix- Water cooling more of a Hobby(Or a job :)  ) then a cooling solution. much like (oh man gonna get more hate for this) collecting Comic Books. look on you tube and you can find a lot of video of people laying everything out and then putting on together. you can get lost for hours watching the vids even just trying to find something the guy did wrong- lol.

Good luck to you.

I've noticed a lot of them actually seal the loop before bleeding the air out.
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 1:31:04 PM

You have to close the loop before you start bleeding air, otherwise you are just letting it back in.

When I say close the loop, I mean run all tubing and components and then fill. Capping the reservoir effectively closes the loop, but you still have open to add water which also purges the excess air.
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 2:12:37 PM

What 7970's do you have the ones with locked voltage are not worth watercooling imo
November 7, 2012 2:32:26 PM

XFX R7970 Black Edition
November 7, 2012 3:22:13 PM

rubix_1011 said:
You have to close the loop before you start bleeding air, otherwise you are just letting it back in.

When I say close the loop, I mean run all tubing and components and then fill. Capping the reservoir effectively closes the loop, but you still have open to add water which also purges the excess air.

I was referring to the reservoir being capped. I meant that I've seen videos where people closed it...turned on the system...watched the water drain out of the pump...and didn't refill it. Obviously they were new to watercooling...but still it made me cringe :x.
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 6:22:50 PM

Yeah, you don't want to run the res completely empty, this means your pump is sucking air. Running a pump without water can quickly damage pump bearings.
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 7:21:02 PM

Gled said:
XFX R7970 Black Edition
Is voltage unlocked?The reason why i ask is watercooling is allot of money and if those cards are not unlocked what is the point of watercooling them they only overclock so far without unlocked voltage know what i mean.If that's the case just watercool your cpu. ;) 
November 7, 2012 11:17:42 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Is voltage unlocked?The reason why i ask is watercooling is allot of money and if those cards are not unlocked what is the point of watercooling them they only overclock so far without unlocked voltage know what i mean.If that's the case just watercool your cpu. ;) 

Idk, but I do not plan on OC them, I want to watercool, cus they are getting very hot when playing games about 90C. I know it is ok temp for GPU, you need to worry when they are over 100C but i would prefer mine to be much lower.
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 8, 2012 12:24:06 PM

I'd consider anything over 80C hot for a GPU. Of course, I'm used to my GPUs running at 43C at load with watercooling, so I'm a bit biased on what I think 'hot' is.
a b K Overclocking
November 8, 2012 1:24:43 PM

Gled said:
Idk, but I do not plan on OC them, I want to watercool, cus they are getting very hot when playing games about 90C. I know it is ok temp for GPU, you need to worry when they are over 100C but i would prefer mine to be much lower.
That is pretty hot i have two 670's and i have them overclocked my temps are around 65C not wtercooling them i would only watercool GPU'S for overclocking purposes but to each his/her own i can understand why you want to though 90C that's pretty toasty
a c 190 K Overclocking
November 8, 2012 1:28:42 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I'd consider anything over 80C hot for a GPU. Of course, I'm used to my GPUs running at 43C at load with watercooling, so I'm a bit biased on what I think 'hot' is.

I hear you on that brother :) 
couple of hours on Crysis yesterday, 39'c max on cards and Cpu,
@Op the best thing you can do for yourself is to read our sticky, it may seem like a pita, but it will give you the ground knowledge to start making decisions yourself, we will help, but we can't build it for you or maintain it, :) 
Moto
!