I5-750 - system recommendations

tpremo55

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Hello,
I've done some research on the performance of various CPUs and have tentatively settled on the i5-750 based on the multitude of things I do (A/V editing/encoding, office, image editing, CAD, some HTPC, some gaming but not a driver)

I've got SATA HDs, DVD-RWs, and periferals (keyboard, mouse, webcam, etc.) on hand.

I will be running at least 3 SATA HDs, two DVD drives, and a handfull of USB devices.

I've always used Asus or Gigabyte (in fact my Asus A7N8X is dying after 7 years). Looking for recommendations on:

Video (leaning toward nVidia)
MB (Asus, Gigabyte, ?) must have RAID and at least one PCI slot.
Memory (4GB, fast)
PS (I've used Antec performance 'true'series most recently).
And case.

Will be running WinXP and soon Win7. I am not afraid to overclock, but don't push too hard.

I appreciate your recommendations to help shortcut some of my remaining research. I buy through newegg or tigerdirect most of the time.

If anyone things that the i5 is the wrong chip, please let me know. Please no Intel vs. AMD wars, I use both and the i5 appears to be the best fit for now.

Last point - total price in the 600-800 range is ideal.

Thanks!

Solution
Video: Stop leaning and run away. Go to the ATI side for the new 5xxx series cards. If you don't game, the lower end cards are great HTPC cards. They start at $50, and go all the was to a $150 card.

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro $190. Assuming you need 2 PCIe 2.0 slots. If you only need one, Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 for $135.

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115

PSU: If only using 1 GPU, 550W. If 2, 750W. Stick to Corsair, Antec Earthwatts, SeaSonic, OCZ, FSP or Silverstone to ensure you get a quality unit.

Case: Antec 200 or 300 or 300 Illusion. Or Coolermaster Elite or 690.
Video: Stop leaning and run away. Go to the ATI side for the new 5xxx series cards. If you don't game, the lower end cards are great HTPC cards. They start at $50, and go all the was to a $150 card.

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro $190. Assuming you need 2 PCIe 2.0 slots. If you only need one, Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 for $135.

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115

PSU: If only using 1 GPU, 550W. If 2, 750W. Stick to Corsair, Antec Earthwatts, SeaSonic, OCZ, FSP or Silverstone to ensure you get a quality unit.

Case: Antec 200 or 300 or 300 Illusion. Or Coolermaster Elite or 690.

Solution

osu43130

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I agree with Admiral.

Look at maybe a 5750 or a 5770 since you said you might game a little but it was not a driving factor.

There are a couple of decent combos with an Antec 500-700 PSU and the Antec 300 case on NewEgg right now for around the 119 mark (After MIR).

tpremo55

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009

Thanks Admiral.
I've done both Nvidia and ATI in the past and have always had luck with the Nvidia boards and less than great luck with the ATI. I see many articles suggesting that this has changed with this recent release. I just don't have the default confidence but can be swayed. Thanks for the recommendation. How do you recommend I chose between the models? For reference, I had a GeForce 7800 GSOC in my old Asus A7N8X system and liked it (AGP mind you).

I've also seen articles suggesting the P55 being less than ideal for these newer chips - and that there may be a better solution (forget what it was though). Thoughts?

I'll check out those PSUs. The OCZs seem to be getting popular but are still reasonable price compared to others. Is it worth going the extra $$ for the Antec?

It depends on what exactly you're doing with the PC. The lower models are basically only going to be good for basic computing and playing media. The 5750 and 5770 are where you start to get decent gaming performance.

Considering P55 is the "only" choice for i5s, that's pretty much wrong. You could go with an i3/H55 build and use the onboard graphics. Those are made specifically for HTPCs, but aren't good for much else.

Possibly. It depends on the efficiency rating. If Antec has a higher rating, it would be worht it. If not, it's not. OCZ is popular mainly because they're decent quality at a very low price. They are also in some really good combos.

tpremo55

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009

Thanks - will be looking at those models. I noted that OSU mentioned those too.
You are correct in that what I had read about the P55 was when I was looking at i3 CPUs. My mistake.
You reference good combos - are you talking anyplace in particular?

tpremo55

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009

I looked at that and recognized the improved performance - but it is also another $80-90. In fact, it looks like I can get the i7-920 for $290.

tpremo55

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
So I am also finding a number of bundles that include CPU, MB, Case, PSU, RAM. I've often recognized these to be the lesser selling items as a away to get rid of them. Do you recommend that I stick to basic bundles (Case/PSU, CPU/MB) and avoid the near complete 'barebones' systems?

On consideration is that Newegg has a number that include Win7 - which is another ~$150 on top of what I had listed, but where I want to go anyhow.

tpremo55

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009

Thanks.
I'm in the process of setting up a quick matrix to identify total system costs with certain options to discover just this kinda stuff.

+1

TRENDING THREADS