IBM 600e with Linux for my mother who needs dial-up

I have an ancient IBM Thinkpad 600e running Slackware 9.1 works great. It's my
'backup machine' and I never use it. Sits in the closet. I want to give it to
my 80 year old mother who only needs a machine to surf and e-mail. She has
dial-up.

I think the 600e has a Winmodem and I don't believe there is a Linux driver
for it (is there?) Someone told me I can get some kind of PCMA card? I don't
know anything about laptop hardware. Can some kind soul direct me on what to
buy so that mother can use this with Earthlink? Do I need to configure for
pmca (or whatever?) Anyone have an ancient Thinkpad working on dialup (mine
works great on broadband). Thanks guys. I appreciate your help... and so will
my mother.

Al
2 answers Last reply
More about 600e linux mother dial

    Most PCMCIA card modems will work with Linux. Plug it in and Linux will see
    it.
    I use a cardmodem with Knoppix hard disk installed and it works well.

    Al C. <no.spam.acanton@adams-blake.no.spam.com> wrote in message
    > I have an ancient IBM Thinkpad 600e running Slackware 9.1 works great.
    It's my
    > 'backup machine' and I never use it. Sits in the closet. I want to give it
    > my 80 year old mother who only needs a machine to surf and e-mail. She has
    > dial-up.
    >
    > I think the 600e has a Winmodem and I don't believe there is a Linux
    driver
    > for it (is there?) Someone told me I can get some kind of PCMA card? I
    don't
    > know anything about laptop hardware. Can some kind soul direct me on what
    > buy so that mother can use this with Earthlink? Do I need to configure for
    > pmca (or whatever?) Anyone have an ancient Thinkpad working on dialup
    (mine
    > works great on broadband). Thanks guys. I appreciate your help... and so
    will
    > my mother.
    >
    > Al

    "Al C." typed:
    > I have an ancient IBM Thinkpad 600e running Slackware 9.1 works great. It's my
    > 'backup machine' and I never use it. Sits in the closet. I want to give it to
    > my 80 year old mother who only needs a machine to surf and e-mail. She has
    > dial-up.
    >
    > I think the 600e has a Winmodem and I don't believe there is a Linux driver
    > for it (is there?) Someone told me I can get some kind of PCMA card? I don't
    > know anything about laptop hardware. Can some kind soul direct me on what to
    > buy so that mother can use this with Earthlink? Do I need to configure for
    > pmca (or whatever?) Anyone have an ancient Thinkpad working on dialup (mine
    > works great on broadband). Thanks guys. I appreciate your help... and so will
    > my mother.

    Al, which Winmodem is it? Download the `scanModem.gz' script from
    linmodems.org[0] and execute it on your system. It will detect the Winmodem,
    report the actual chipset the Winmodem uses, and recommend a number of drivers
    that might work with. I downloaded and configured the ltmodem-8.31a7.tar.gz[1]
    driver for my Xircom Mini-PCI[2] modem, which uses an Agere/Lucent chipset, on
    my ThinkPad T21. It works flawlessly.

    Notes:
    [0] http://linmodems.org/
    [1] http://www.heby.de/ltmodem
    [2] http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4VFTT3.html

    --
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan

    This e-mail was generated on an IBM T21 Laptop running Slackware-9.1.0. Note
    that no Micro$oft products were used in creating this e-mail.

Laptops Dial Up Connection