Sign in with
Your question

Wireless Adapter cutting out...

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 4, 2010 2:24:39 PM

I have wireless in my home which on my laptop, I have no problems. But when I'm on my PC, the internet keeps cutting out (whether the laptop is on or not). There have also been times when my girlfriend has been on the laptop and my connection has gone but hers is fine. It's obvious that it is the wireless adapter in my pc that is the problem, so, how do I fix it?

More about : wireless adapter cutting

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 4, 2010 6:05:02 PM

Could it be a wireless reception or interference issue ? Experiment with setting channels in the router -- if you detect strong neighbouring wifi networks move router to a channel 5 stops from strongest.
April 5, 2010 3:47:05 PM

How do I go about doing that? I have had the laptop on the internet right next to where my pc is and there was no problem =S
Related resources
April 5, 2010 3:56:11 PM

Surely if it was interference, I would have experienced it on my laptop? or maybe the wireless adapters are of different strength. I don't know, all I know is it's driving me mad!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 5, 2010 5:00:21 PM

There are variations between the sensitivity of adapters -- laptops ought to be less good but are often newer than the adapters in desktops, so are better.

Also the laptop can be positioned and swivelled optimally compared to a desktop. Consider, is the case of your computer screening the antenna from the router's signal ?

It's worth playing with channels to find the best for your environment For example, I have to struggle with a signal coming from down one floor and the other end of a long building. Plus competing with about 30 different networks surrounding us -- many of them on or within five stops of our selected channel 6. I'd like to switch to channel 1 which is less used but it's weaker than 6 regardless of interference.
April 5, 2010 10:02:03 PM

that might be it, the router is downstairs on the other side of the house (side of the house opposing my case). Cant really re-locate the computer either... I'll try the channels thing though, how do you change the channels?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 5, 2010 10:41:46 PM

Have a look at the literature which came with the router (or download manual from maker's site).

Link the router to a computer (in your case probably the laptop) with an ethernet cable (it simplifies things as you don't get disconnected as you change wireless settings).

Start your browser and supply router IP address (see manual but usually 192.168.0.1) and you should be greeted by a login box. User Name is almost always admin. Password may be password or admin (see manual).

Go to wireless section of setup screens and select a wireless channel. Start with 1, then 6 then 11, testing wireless strength in each instance (obviously, test using the desktop at its intended location). When optimum channel has been selected save settings and close the router setup in the correct manner (don't just close your browser).

Also try raising router above furniture level and relocate cordless phone base, video sender etc away from router.

April 6, 2010 12:22:19 AM

Well, changing the channel seems to have made a BIG difference and (touch wood) there have been no cut-outs. I will make note of your other suggestions and let you know if I have any more problems.

Thanks man, you've been a big help! :) 
!