Possible cpu and gpu upgrade?

jeremy728

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I have a eMachines EL1333G-01w with a AMD Athlon 2850e CPU and a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE integrated GPU. I also have a HP Pavilion Slimline with a Athlon x2 CPU and NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE integrated GPU. So my ? is can i up grade any of these computers CPU's and GPU's?

Well, I'm pretty sure that you could upgrade the graphics cards in both of those machines, as there should be a 16x PCI-e slot on both of those motherboards, and you can pick some cards, depending on the power supply and the dimensions of the case, stick it into the slot, update drivers then you're done. As for the CPU, the eMachines' AMD Athlon 2850e is socket AM2, but I'm not sure, and you could only upgrade it to other AM2, or AM2+ if your motherboard supports it.

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
Another concern is the power supply, ensure that when replacing the motherboard, CPU, and GPU that your power supply is adequate. This is the most commonly forgotten component and can easily wreck a new build.

nathanmoyer21

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
I am thinking about purchasing one of these machines from walmart.........I want to know if it is possible to upgrade the Graphics card in these and if so, what does it take? I hope to god it's not a plain old PCI card as they are not cheap, and they sort of max out at crap when it comes to performance.....I know with the CPU and amount of memory in these things, you can play modest games on it.........Could someone please do a little snooping around and find out what these things can take? I tried my best for bout 2 days now and cannot for the life of me find one damn review that states what style of graphics card these things take: PCI, PCIe or AGP..

Any information would be MUCH appreciated!

PSL Here's the link to the specific one I wanted to purchase: http://www.walmart.com/ip/eMachines-320-GB-EL1333G-01w/13352324

seckg

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011

There is a PCI-E slot in EL1333G-01w and it is undocumented, I installed a ATI 4250 video card, installed hardware video decode, hook to
my 1080P TV via HDMI, when playing 720P, with the video card hardware acc, it is pretty smooth and CPU is less than 43% most of time, didn't try 1080P
Right now I'm thinking upgrade the CPU.