Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AM3+ Heatsink/Cooler

Last response: in Overclocking
November 7, 2012 1:26:06 AM

Hey guys,

I am currently using an AMD FX-6200 Zambezi AM3+ CPU with an AM3+ mobo (obviously :p .

Just a quick question, do AM3 Coolers work with an AM3+ Mobo/CPU?

Also, besides the Hyper 212 EVO, what is a good budget AM3+ cooler, or is the Hyper 212 the best?

Thanks a bunch guys <3

P.S. What's up with cooler's not showing what TDP they support, I thought that was important? At least it was for me when I had to see if my old Zalman CNPS9500A-LED would work with my new CPU, turns out it doesn't support 125W CPU's.

More about : am3 heatsink cooler

Best solution

a c 119 à CPUs
a c 88 K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 2:03:56 AM

The Hyper 212EVO currently is the best bang for buck cooler - and yes, an AM3 cooler will fit an AM3+ board just fine.

As to why coolers don't show a specific TDP, there are a few factors including case airflow that contribute to the cooler's abilities - they could show maximum with the disclaimer "under ideal conditions" but they probably fear being sued by someone who fries their CPU in a crappy case with no airflow (or some other factor they have no control over)
November 7, 2012 9:35:45 PM

C12Friedman said:
The Hyper 212EVO currently is the best bang for buck cooler - and yes, an AM3 cooler will fit an AM3+ board just fine.

As to why coolers don't show a specific TDP, there are a few factors including case airflow that contribute to the cooler's abilities - they could show maximum with the disclaimer "under ideal conditions" but they probably fear being sued by someone who fries their CPU in a crappy case with no airflow (or some other factor they have no control over)

Just wondering, how is it that my Zalman CNPS9500A-LED only supports up to 95W CPU's (My new one is 125W) but the included cooler supports my new CPU? -__-
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 8, 2012 1:08:10 AM

I'd bet your old Zalman would cooler well as the stock cooler , the stock cooler is not great , the fan is noisy as hell . I took the fan off my old opteron dual core and athlon 5200 and put then om my 1100t and 1090 , cut down on the turbo whine , the old fan was much better imo , they cheaped out on the fan on the PII 1100 , don't like the sort straight cut blades .
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:35:26 AM

jerry6 said:
I'd bet your old Zalman would cooler well as the stock cooler , the stock cooler is not great , the fan is noisy as hell . I took the fan off my old opteron dual core and athlon 5200 and put then om my 1100t and 1090 , cut down on the turbo whine , the old fan was much better imo , they cheaped out on the fan on the PII 1100 , don't like the sort straight cut blades .

Thanks for the reply man! So even though the zalman says it only supports up to 95W and my cpu is 125W, you think it's safe to use the zalman? I'd love to because the other cooler is noisy as heck, and I can't believe its better than my Zalman.
m
l
a c 119 à CPUs
a c 88 K Overclocking
November 8, 2012 2:50:23 AM

Put the Zalman on, run Prime for at least 30 minutes while watching the temps. I'd personally wager on the Zalman performng better
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:58:35 AM

Best answer selected by Jeteroll.
m
l
November 8, 2012 2:59:09 AM

C12Friedman said:
Put the Zalman on, run Prime for at least 30 minutes while watching the temps. I'd personally wager on the Zalman performng better

Yeah I guess the only was to find out is to find out! Thanks for all of your help!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 8, 2012 3:02:02 AM

Jeteroll said:
Thanks for the reply man! So even though the zalman says it only supports up to 95W and my cpu is 125W, you think it's safe to use the zalman? I'd love to because the other cooler is noisy as heck, and I can't believe its better than my Zalman.

If you're not overclocking it could do , no guarantee . Put it on and test it , see how it does running Prime or some other program that will stress all cores at 100% .
Not sure what you do on the comp , had to change the coolers on mine from stock , 1 because the noise , 2 because it was hitting 60c + on the stock cooler when my son plays bf3 and encoding video for hours . using a cheap logisiys mc300 keeps it under 55c http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-999-...

I would test it , the Zalman cools pretty well , worse that happens is you'll have to change it .
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 8, 2012 3:31:07 PM

IMO, the Xiagmatek Gaia is a better "bang forcthe buck" option than the 212 Evolution right now. Its only $20 on most websites and is within a half-degree of the Evolution in Frostytech benchmarks.... it is more than capable of handling any AM3+ processor with its single fan setup. If you are overclocking the daylights out of your cpu, it comes with clips for a second fan. With the push/pull setup, I stay under 50c at full load with my Phenomenon 965 125w @ 4.3ghz. The 212 might be on par, but it costs 50% more.
m
l
November 8, 2012 6:48:59 PM

ocmusicjunkie said:
IMO, the Xiagmatek Gaia is a better "bang forcthe buck" option than the 212 Evolution right now. Its only $20 on most websites and is within a half-degree of the Evolution in Frostytech benchmarks.... it is more than capable of handling any AM3+ processor with its single fan setup. If you are overclocking the daylights out of your cpu, it comes with clips for a second fan. With the push/pull setup, I stay under 50c at full load with my Phenomenon 965 125w @ 4.3ghz. The 212 might be on par, but it costs 50% more.

Thanks man I will definitely consider it!
m
l
!