Sign in with
Your question

Best Mobo to overclock the i5 2500k

Last response: in Overclocking
November 7, 2012 2:33:50 AM

So finally i'm moving from xbox 360 to PC i just bought the intel core i5 2500k after a lot of internet search i know that this is the best CPU for gaming my main interest in this is to overclock it to 5 GHz i know this is possible with the correct MOBO and the the cooler which i'll be using the following components

Intel Core i5 2500k

Looking for motherboard suggestions (I was gonna buy the ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE WITH THE Z77 CHIPSET)

Cooler Master V10 air cooler

Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB DDR3 2133 MHz

Looking for PSU recommendations

ATI Radeon HD 7970 X 1

I will be playing assassin's creed revelations online most of the time with the rig hooked up to to a 50 Inch plasma TV at 1080p

thanks for the answers i know i'm a novice on all this but i hope you guys here at tom's hardware teach me some high tech lessons

More about : mobo overclock 2500k

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 2:54:37 AM

one thing to keep in mind, is it really worth spending $100 extra on a motherboard to get another 100-200mhz out of the cpu, for minimal real world gain? wouldnt the extra $$ be better spent elsewhere, like an SSD, better gpu etc...... somewhere you will actually notice the gains.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 3:15:37 AM

If you really want to overclock that high you should look for a Top-End Enthusiast motherboard like this one.
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=61909&vpn=P8Z68%20DELU...
Actally i mean exactly this one.

It's pretty much the best of the best when it comes to Sandy Bridge overclocking.
Related resources
a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 110 K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 3:19:29 AM

4.5 is plenty for the 2500K, and almost any P67, Z68, Z75, or Z77 board can accomplish that.

You don't need to go completely nuts on the mobo, just go for quality (Asus and Gigabyte, basically).
November 7, 2012 7:17:09 AM

Do not skimp on your power supply, any good one, Seasonic, PC Power, Corsair, Silverstone will do, 650w-750w dont skimp, that will come back to bite you you know where........
a b V Motherboard
a c 205 K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 10:14:50 AM

epictier3gamer said:
So finally i'm moving from xbox 360 to PC i just bought the intel core i5 2500k after a lot of internet search i know that this is the best CPU for gaming my main interest in this is to overclock it to 5 GHz i know this is possible with the correct MOBO and the the cooler which i'll be using the following components

Intel Core i5 2500k

Looking for motherboard suggestions (I was gonna buy the ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE WITH THE Z77 CHIPSET)

Cooler Master V10 air cooler

Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB DDR3 2133 MHz

Looking for PSU recommendations

ATI Radeon HD 7970 X 1

I will be playing assassin's creed revelations online most of the time with the rig hooked up to to a 50 Inch plasma TV at 1080p

thanks for the answers i know i'm a novice on all this but i hope you guys here at tom's hardware teach me some high tech lessons

Overclocking a 2500K to 5ghz on an air cooler for 24/7 gaming capability is a lofty goal, if you are determined to air cool to meet those goals you'll need a much better cooler than you've chosen.

I suggest a Noctua NH-D14 cooler and to replace the fans with 2 120mm Scythe Slipstream 110cfm fans, not only do the Scythe out perform the Noctua stock fans they look better.

!