Is it worth upgrading CPU and is compatible?

Hello all, well I recently went from a pentium 4 @ 2.88ghz and a HD4650 to a core 2 duo E6400@2.2 Ghz and a HD 5670 for gaming, and the difference was amazing.

I know that the processor is not amazing, and I want to upgrade to

Intel BX80580Q8300 Q8300 Core 2 Quad Processor - 2.50 GHz,4MB Cache,1333MHz FSB,Socket LGA775,45 nm.

I know that the socket on my motherboard is 775 and was wondering how do i Know whether or not the processor is compatible?

my other worry is power consumtion because i only have a 300watt psu, and its only a stock psu so not amazing, if did get the processor would it run both the graphics card and processor, or would I be better upgrading to a better core 2 duo processor? or just not upgrading?

thanksf for all advice people.
8 answers Last reply
More about worth upgrading compatible
  1. You will have to figure out your exact motherboard you have. I am guessing this is a pre built system if it is list the model number.

Your PSU will be fine it will be plenty to run your system the HD5670 is a low powered card so you will be fine if you wanted a more powerful card you will have to upgrade your PSU then.
  2. saaiello said:
    You will have to figure out your exact motherboard you have. I am guessing this is a pre built system if it is list the model number.

Your PSU will be fine it will be plenty to run your system the HD5670 is a low powered card so you will be fine if you wanted a more powerful card you will have to upgrade your PSU then.

Thanks for the reply, this is my motherboard.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00748726&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=in&product=3304775&lang=en
  3. * Socket: 775
    * Supports the following processors:
    o Intel Core Duo E6x00 with Dual Core technology (Conroe core)
    o Pentium D 9x0 series Dual Core (Presler)
    o Pentium D 8xx series (Smithfield)
    o Pentium 4 6x1 series (Cedar Mill core)
    o Pentium 4 6xx (Prescott core)
    o Pentium 4 5xx (Prescott core)
    o Pentium 4 LGA-775 HT (Prescott core)
  4. You really cant get much better then you already got that board uses a 965 chipset can only run the older 65nm Core 2 processors. You would be best to just wait til you can do a real upgrade. Its not worth putting the money into that older system.
  5. saaiello said:
    You really cant get much better then you already got that board uses a 965 chipset can only run the older 65nm Core 2 processors. You would be best to just wait til you can do a real upgrade. Its not worth putting the money into that older sys#
    tem.

hey i found
    http://www.advancetec.co.uk/acatalog/info_030909.html
    Its really cheap and 2.93 oppose to 2.13, and usises 65nm would you recomend it?
  6. That will provide little improvement its not worth it you might be able to get an Q6600 to work in that board which is a quad core but its hard to tell if it will work. I would recommend just saving your money and upgrade to a newer platform.
  7. saaiello said:
    That will provide little improvement its not worth it you might be able to get an Q6600 to work in that board which is a quad core but its hard to tell if it will work. I would recommend just saving your money and upgrade to a newer platform.

Im about to go to Uni to do computer science as so will be skint for the next three years and so have like £100 to upgrade as much as i can before i go, are you sure I wouldnt see any improvement in games with the E6500?
  8. it might be slightly better but what I am also trying to tell you is the E6500 you are looking at is a 45 nm Wolfdale . You need to be looking at 65nm Conroe's.

The best you could put is an E6700 Conroe at 2.66ghz

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27251&processor=E6700&spec-codes=SL9S7,SL9U2,SL9ZF

Which is not worth it.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Processors Compatibility