Sign in with
Your question
Solved

System boots, shuts down, then won't restart

Last response: in Motherboards
September 19, 2010 8:57:55 PM

Hello. Newly built system ASUS p6x58D premium, 3x4gb Patriot 1600 RAM and i7 950. The system runs for a minute or 2, enough to get into BIOS settings or once into Win 7 install, and then shuts down. When I try to restar, the fans spin briefly then it goes dead. I let it rest a while, reinstall the RAM and then it will go through the same cycle again. I have a new Corsair 850AX power supply and am also running a revodrive PCIe and Quadro 4000 video card. Display is fine and all drives are recognized in Setup. Windows sees only 2 regular SATA drives, btw. Any ideas? The thermal compound got a bit smeared during insertion but I can't imagine that would cause failure after a couple of minutes.
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2010 10:01:22 PM

My first thought on this is that the processor is overheating, what temperatures are you getting in the hardware monitor in the BIOS?

m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2010 12:17:37 AM

^ I'll second his first thought and advice. If possible, check that the cooler's pins are through the mobo, and grabbing its back (if your cooler uses pins).
m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2010 2:20:10 AM

Twoboxer said:
^ I'll second his first thought and advice. If possible, check that the cooler's pins are through the mobo, and grabbing its back (if your cooler uses pins).

---
Back of motherboard in CPU area is not even warm to the touch when it shuts down. The system seems to need a 1 hour rest before responding again, then repeats startup, lets me go into BIOS, and then shuts down after a minute or two.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2010 2:37:16 AM

I'm not concerned about the temp of the back of the mobo.

I'm concerned that the cpu heat sink is not properly attached.
m
l
September 20, 2010 3:29:31 AM

Twoboxer said:
I'm not concerned about the temp of the back of the mobo.

I'm concerned that the cpu heat sink is not properly attached.

Hi. I checked and the pins are all properly secured through the board and showing through on the back side.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2010 4:15:44 AM

There could be a short in the motherboard installation. PSU overcurrent protection may step in and stop the operation. By the way, do you have LEDs on the motherboard ?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2010 4:21:11 AM

OK, we've got a cooler that looks tightly installed.

Since you applied thermal paste, I assume you aren't using the stock cooler. What cooler are you using?

Did you remove the plastic that protected the base of the heat sink during shipping?

When you say the thermal paste "got smeared a bit" . . . if thermal paste is applied too heavily, it can act as an insulator rather than a conductor of heat. Did you put on a thick coating? or what?

Anyhow, remove the revodrive and boot up. Use what little time you have to download CPUID's Hardware Monitor, and get it running. Watch cpu and gpu temps until the PC fails. See if those correlate to the failure.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
m
l
September 20, 2010 12:44:53 PM

suat said:
There could be a short in the motherboard installation. PSU overcurrent protection may step in and stop the operation. By the way, do you have LEDs on the motherboard ?

Hello. Yes, motherboard has lights and Asus' power and reset switches are lit. Those switches are functional when the system is responsive. This morning after 10 hour rest, the system just spun the fans briefly and then stopped responding. The CPU came with thermal compound on the Intel-supplied cooling unit. The compound got slightly smudged but none was removed in the installation. The BIOS has recognized the RAM and all drives. On one boot there was a message that the Asus board had recognized the memory and set the timings appropriately, although the memory is not on Asus' approved list per its website.

I am quite inexperienced at this, but it seems likely to me that the problem is either a defective Mobo or an incompatibility of the board and the RAM. I am thinking of ordering replacements for those and trying them out. Does this seem like a reasonable plan?
m
l
September 20, 2010 8:04:16 PM

CASE SOLVED:

The brand new Corsair 850AX power supply failed. I replaced it with an old PSU I happened to have, and everything is now humming. The Corsair ran a total of about 5 minutes before failure.
m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2010 10:10:21 PM

Congrats! Even the best have failures. Happy uptime!
September 21, 2010 3:15:02 AM

Best answer selected by fearvisciousraptor.
m
l
!