Sign in with
Your question

DDR2 1066Mhz or 800Mhz

Last response: in Overclocking
November 7, 2012 11:20:04 AM

Hi
I have seen some similar posts on here but they dont appear to answer my below question:

Should I buy DDR2 1066Mhz and run it in dual channel DDR2 800mhz speed and then overclock it or would I be better geting DDR2 800mhz and overclocking it?

The reason I ask is that surely I would be able to run my memory at a faster mhz speed using memory that is designed to run at 1066mhz than overclocking memory that was designed to work at 800mhz?

My mother board will allow me to use DDR2 1066Mhz in single channel mode and therefore will be slower than running DDR2 800mhz in dual channel mode.

To add some background to this, I got my computer cheap and found out that I could run am3 processor in my am2+ socket and hence began my cheap gaming pc, however the ram I have got is cheap and not very good and beleive that I can overclock my PC further with decent ram. Currently I have 6gb of cas latency 8 ram, I am looking at getting either of the two below:

- Kingston Hyperx - 4x2GB - CL5 5-5-5-15 - 1066MHz
or
- Kingston Hyperx - 4x2GB - CL4 - 800MHz

More about : ddr2 1066mhz 800mhz

a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 11:46:32 AM

rcracer20071 said:
Hi
I have seen some similar posts on here but they dont appear to answer my below question:

Should I buy DDR2 1066Mhz and run it in dual channel DDR2 800mhz speed and then overclock it or would I be better geting DDR2 800mhz and overclocking it?

The reason I ask is that surely I would be able to run my memory at a faster mhz speed using memory that is designed to run at 1066mhz than overclocking memory that was designed to work at 800mhz?

My mother board will allow me to use DDR2 1066Mhz in single channel mode and therefore will be slower than running DDR2 800mhz in dual channel mode.

To add some background to this, I got my computer cheap and found out that I could run am3 processor in my am2+ socket and hence began my cheap gaming pc, however the ram I have got is cheap and not very good and beleive that I can overclock my PC further with decent ram. Currently I have 6gb of cas latency 8 ram, I am looking at getting either of the two below:

- Kingston Hyperx - 4x2GB - CL5 5-5-5-15 - 1066MHz
or
- Kingston Hyperx - 4x2GB - CL4 - 800MHz

Buy 1066mhz memory.
You are confused I believe however about the dual channel thing, as AMD processors use memory slightly differently than the Intel counterparts did at the time. Phenom processors have 2 memory controllers built into them, if you run your 2 sticks of memory "unganged", each controller will run a bank of memory, which is perceived as single channel by most people, but don't let that bother you too much, because the 2 memory controllers can work independently from each other and this is actually the faster mode for AMD if you only use 2 sticks of memory. If you gang the 2 single sticks together into a bank of "ganged" or dual channel memory, then the memory controllers must work in series, one controller must wait on the other to finish what its doing. So this is actually a slower mode for AMD processors.
But to that end, and all things considered, there is so little difference between 800 and 1066 memory, and whether or not it is running dual channel (or ganged mode as AMD calls it) or not, you could never tell any difference in performance using the PC.
November 7, 2012 3:09:54 PM

Hi,
Not meaning to sound ungreatful, but my understanding of the memory controlers is different, there is one to handle ddr3 and one for ddr2 as shown from the text copied in below form the AMD website please correct me if I am wrong?

If I am right then is your answer the same?

Integrated DRAM Controller with AMD Memory Optimizer Technology
■A high-bandwidth, low-latency integrated memory controller
■Supports PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066); PC2-6400 (DDR2-800), PC2-5300 (DDR2-667), PC2-4200 (DDR2-533) or PC2-3200 (DDR2-400) SDRAM unbuffered DIMMs – AM2+
■Support for unregistered DIMMs up to PC2 8500(DDR2-1066MHz) and PC3 10600 (DDR3-1333MHz) – AM3
■Up to 17.1GB/s memory bandwidth for DDR2 and up to 21GB/s memory bandwidth for DDR3 ◦Benefit: Quick access to system memory for better performance.

Related resources
a c 104 } Memory
a c 121 K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 3:25:12 PM

DDR2 and DDR3 ram have different pin configurations and are not interchangeable .
If your motherboard is one of the few that have both DDR2 and DDR3 slots, then you can use one or the other, but not both at the same time.

I do not think you will get significant extra cpu power from faster ram, so long as you are operating in dual channel mode.
Faster ram, or overclocking ram will be accompanied by higher cas numbers that will reduce the impact of the higher speed,
netting not that much benefit in real app performance or FPS.
I do not know which cpu you have, but here is one article on ram speed scaling for the phenom II X4:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-ddr3,2319...

No game I know of can use more than 2-3gb of ram by itself, so more than 6gb does not seem very useful.
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
November 8, 2012 11:17:23 AM

2017819,3,1460800 said:
Hi,
Not meaning to sound ungreatful, but my understanding of the memory controlers is different, there is one to handle ddr3 and one for ddr2 as shown from the text copied in below form the AMD website please correct me if I am wrong?

If I am right then is your answer the same?

This is also correct, AM3 processors have both DDR2 and DDR3 memory controllers. But the method that they work in is slightly different than what people seem to understand when it comes to dual channel mode with an AM3 processor. Unganged is the default, and the fastest mode, for running only 2 stick of memory. If you have one of those boards that have DDR2 and DDR3 memory slots both, these boards were made with compatibility and upgrade ease in mind, performance was not first priority, and worrying about making any difference in performance by upgrading memory type or speed is simply not going to happen. You won't notice any difference at all by changing memory. I am just saying that if you are going to buy new, might as well buy the 1066 because it will allow some overclocking room. Overclocking on this board is going to be a challenge.
!