Hard drive replacing

ryukotsu1213

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
So my current Hard Drive which is some toshiba seems to have a lot of bad sectors (crashes 1-3 times sometimes once a week to once a month or several times in a single day) so looking to get a new hard drive (Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive -Bare Drive) but I read something about this hard drive (the one im looking to buy) doesn't support RAID 0 or something like that. Just wanted to know if it would still be a good hard drive to game on (kind of cpu intensive game). I have no clue what RAID does or is really and looking it up was just as confusing.

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
The hybrid drives are designed mostly for industrial use, so I would not reccomend the for gaming. A good platter drive would be fine, but I would reccomend western digital form personal experiance. I have has a few Seagates smoke out on me. The WD cavair Black are designed for gaming, and aren't much more expensine than the Cavair blues (normal use).

To answer your other question. RAID is using multiple disks as one. RAID 0 makes it faster, Raid 1 keeps your data safer (duplicate copy), Raid 10 does both at the same time, and RAID 5 is a cheaper soultion to RAID 10, again mostly industrial, but alot of gamers use RAID 0, and alot of artists use RAID 1.

Just Google "RAID" for more info.

ryukotsu1213

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

oh awesome thats everything i was looking for. thanks a ton

RAID 0 doesn't do much of anything "real world usage" wise unless you are running a server, huge databases, 3D spreadsheets, rendering, video editing or some other special app. It is perfectly good however for impressing your friends with big benchmark scores.

I don't know where you are reading the FUD, but the Momentus provides amazing performance for a very affordable price (post flood anyway). It boosts to Windows just 1 second (17 vs 16) slower than a Vertex 3 SSD making it 35% faster than a WD Black.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=806&Itemid=60&limit=1&limitstart=7

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=806&Itemid=60&limit=1&limitstart=9

When we switched to real-world tests, such as the Windows boot time, file transfer, and PCMark 7 tests, Seagate FAST Factor firmware and Adaptive Memory Technology really helped Momentus XT shine. In these tests, especially Windows boot time and file transfer, the second-generation Momentus XT SSHD outperformed the PCI-Express hybrid solution and surpassed hard disk performance. While a single Momentus XT will be sufficient for more super-users, enthusiasts can overcome limited hard disk speeds by joining two of these drives together into a RAID-0 array.

Seagate has come a long way with the Momentus series, and the benchmarks show a maturity in hybrid technology. Judging by the pace of development, it won't be long before the Momentus XT matches SSD performance in every task - not just what's cached.