[Solved]Will a 750W be enough?

cpeters101

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I'm finally building myself a new system and now its finally come down to how much power do i need to run this baby. Specs are as follows:

Phenom II X4 955BE
Radeon HD 5770
Asus M4A79XTD EVO
4GB DDR3
2x 7200 Sata Drives

I was thinking at least a 750W just to be on the safe side of things. Upgrades i would like to leave myself open for in the future include:

- Crossfiring another 5770 or possibly upgrading to a 5800 series.
- I would also like to leave some room to add a blue-ray burner
- Miscellaneous external devices and pci cards

When it comes to power supplies I would rather be safe than sorry. This is the Corsair Power Supply I'm thinking of getting:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

Should a 750W suit my needs? Thanks

BTW, I used the power supply calculator on Newegg and it gave me 473W, but they didn't include different versions of the Phenom II X4 even though there are 95W and 125W editions. I also used the Antec calculator which is much more thorough, it gave me 334W only choosing the core components.

http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine

With a single 5770 a Quality 450 watt PSU would be more then plenty, and to crossfire 5770's 550 to 600watts is more then enough for that as for a 5850 500 watts is plenty to run that. To leave yourself plenty of head room for overclocking and other expansions I'd say get a Quality 550 to 650 watt PSU.

Check out my link in my sig for more info.

Here are the official ATI recommended power supply requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5770 and 5750 video cards:

450 watt or greater power supply with one 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended.

600 watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty.