Intermittent blank screen with ATI Radeon 4770

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
My computer has an ATI Radeon 4770 with version 10.1 of AMD's Catalyst driver. I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise Edition (the final release, build 7600). For some reason when I watch a movie DVD with Windows Media Player in full screen mode I keep getting an intermittent blank screen. It's not a gray screen, just a blank one. When this happens DVD playback stops and I have to hit ESC to exit full screen mode before I can see anything. This problem only happens when watching movie DVD's in full screen mode. It does not happen when gaming or web browsing. Is this a issue specific to the Catalyst 10.1 driver? Is there some way to fix this without downgrading my graphics driver? I don't want to downgrade my driver because the Sims 3 has severe graphics corruption with previous Catalyst driver versions.

FunSurfer

Distinguished

I mentioned GOM Player because it is freeware and better than Windows Media Player that you mentioned (try playing an FLV file on WMP...). Why do you need the hardware processing power of a 4770 to watch movies? I use an ATI 9550
and have no slowdowns during movies...

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Software video processing from most free DVD player software fails every test on the Silicon Optix Benchmark DVD and the video looks like crap. Video processing from ATI and Nvidia is the best video quality money can buy.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I tried both the native 64-bit Windows 7 codecs as well as PowerDVD 9 Ultra. The Windows 7 codecs give me an intermittent black screen but when I play a DVD with PowerDVD 9 Ultra the video looks like it's being fast forwarded even though PowerDVD says the video is being played at 1X speed.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

I do not have a screensaver set to come on. All monitor power saving features are disabled. As for the forum that was mentioned, this just covers converting one file format to another which is not what I'm trying to do. All I want to do is watch a DVD movie. The codecs than 64-bit Windows 7 uses for watching a DVD are 100% compatible with both ATI and Nvidia hardware acceleration. This is starting to sound like an ATI driver issue.