Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Watercooling

Last response: in Overclocking
November 7, 2012 2:10:10 PM

Hello all, I've been looking for a decent watercooling kit to use for my new build around xmas. Originally i was planning on getting the corsair h100 (i know its not a "real" watercooling kit) but while researching others opinions, views on it i saw many recommending proper watercooling kits that are not much more cost wise and most suggested XSPC Rasa RS240. The problem is that the Rasa costs double the h100, so which kits are they talking about? every thing i look for ends up costing double the amount of a h100.

More about : watercooling

November 7, 2012 2:21:32 PM

thats because the good ones cost more money, i dont know anything about water cooling, but i know that it cost more then an h100
Score
a c 122 K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 2:28:48 PM

What cpu are you considering?
What are the other prospective parts?
What will be the purpose of this PC?

The main reason to buy a liquid cpu cooler is to be able to overclock the cpu to high levels.
If you are a record seeling competitive overclocker, then buy the best liquid cooler kit you can afford.

But, it sounds like you are on a budget and do not have an unlimited budget.

In a decently ventilated case, a modest $30 air cooler like they hyper212 will do a good job.
A top end air cooler like the Phanteks or noctua NH-D14 @$80 or so will perform about as well as any of the all in one liquid coolers.
And, they will be quieter, less expensive, and more reliable.

My suggestion is to save your cooler money and spend it on a more useful component like a better graphics card or SSD.
Score
Related resources
November 7, 2012 2:35:26 PM

I plan on getting these parts:

i5 2500k (2nd hand)
Asrock z77 extreme 4
8gb gskill 1600Mhz
7850/660ti or better GPU depending on what i can find 2nd hand
NZXT Phantom 410

Current PSU i use is a CM gx 550w which limits options on GPUs.

I want a watercooler because where i stay, common temps for the day are 30-40c+ and my current hyper 212 struggles to keep things cool. Also i don't want any record OC's but more in line of 4.5-5Ghz

EDIT: also want the enjoyment of doing some form of watercooling.
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 2:36:58 PM

Please read through the watercooling sticky linked in my signature below...this should give you some ideas of where you might wish to start.
Score
November 7, 2012 2:39:32 PM

I've been through that link and all those kits also cost double the h100, which kits are all these people talking about that is "only a bit more expensive"?
Score
November 7, 2012 3:23:09 PM

If you take a look at CPU coolers reviews you will see that NH-D14 outperforms H100 and cost less.

And the only a bit more expensive I'm not from USA but in frozen CPU
H100 $114.99
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13375/ex-wat-174/Cors...

Rasa RS240 $149.99
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16891/ex-wat-219/XSPC...

Also take into account that with a custom watercooling if something fails you can change that part, or upgrade your watercooling while with H100 if it fails goes straight to the trash
Score

Best solution

a c 122 K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 3:58:44 PM

Any cooler, short of thermoelectric coolers(expensive) can only cool to some temperature delta over ambient.
That number for an overclocked cpu is likely to be in the 12-14c. range.
Unless you can get air conditioning for your room, I think you have to live with high temperatures.
Here is a list of results from testing multiple cpu coolers in an open testbed. In a case, the themeratures will be higher.
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=266...

If noise bothers you, the problem will be even worse.

My suggestion is to concentrate less on overclocking the cpu and more on the graphics card.
The graphics card is the real engine of gaming. Use your cooler savings for a better graphics card.
A 2500K @ 4.0 will run any game well, and run reasonably cool.
Upping your graphics budget on a new gen 28nm based card like a 7950 or GTX670 will yield you much better gaming.
November 7, 2012 4:02:56 PM

@ Dangi

Price wise, that Rasa from frozencpu is cheaper for me to ship in (by 100-200 rands) than it is to buy local, yet is still around about double the price of a h100. Inflated prices of south africa :( 

Anyway I'll keep a keen eye out for any 2nd hand specials on either a good air cooler (NH-D14) or the h100. If i get no deals I'll just buy a new h100 :p 
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 5:00:38 PM

Quote:
I've been through that link and all those kits also cost double the h100, which kits are all these people talking about that is "only a bit more expensive"?

As mentioned, XSPC kits are not 'double' the cost of the H100. There are several XSPC kits that are within $20-$30 in cost of the H100 that perform much better.
Score
November 7, 2012 5:35:16 PM

I'm not from USA or any country that gets these parts often. Anyway I'm going with Geofelts idea of getting a better GPU, after i shall continue saving and then decide which to get.
Score
November 7, 2012 5:35:34 PM

Best answer selected by Microgoliath.
Score
a c 325 K Overclocking
November 7, 2012 5:47:15 PM

His suggestion is the most logical especially if you are dealing with international shipping or other charges.
Score
!