Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Roll my own 32 to 64 bit

Last response: in Motherboards
September 19, 2010 11:06:00 PM

I built a new computer from my Dell Inspiron 2100 box. A 400 watt power supply, MSI mother board GF615M-P33, an AMD Athlon II X4 630 processor and a couple of memory sticks all from Newegg. I used the original Seagate ST340810A hard drive and LG ced8080b CD drive that came from the original Dell box. Mainly, because they were working at the time I took it apart. I have the HDD jumpered as master and the CD drive jumpered as slave on the same ribbon cable to the IDE connection. I can make it come up in BIOS Okay. BIOS can see the HDD and CD Okay. I have selected the boot sequence HDD then CD and vice versa but it will not boot to windows nor the drivers CD that came with the MSI mother board. I have also tried making the CD the master and the HDD the slave and got the same results. I know I am missing something simple, can’t figure out what it is. Do you have any hints? One more thing when I select “start windows normal” or “last known good configuration” It just restarts and goes back to the same place. When I select any of the safe mode variations a long list of commands but it just ends up restarting going to the same error page.

Addditional: The Dell Inspiron 2100 had an Intel Celeron SL5XU processor (32 bit). The AMD in the new Mother Board is 64 bit. I guess I need a 64 bit operating system, huh? Can I get a 64 bit version of XP cheap or do I have to go to Windows 7 64 bit at around $100+?

Thanks for listening

dkmccann

More about : roll bit

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2010 11:26:35 PM

You cannot move a hard drive with a Windows installation from 1 PC to another. Unless the hardware is nearly identical, it simply won't work, Windows and all the device drivers are configured for your old Dell system.
New build, you'll have to reinstall Windows from scratch.
September 20, 2010 12:16:30 AM

Thank you for the reply, that I was afraid of. I don't have the original Windows XP disks which would be the wrong (32 bit) version, anyway. Can you recommend 64 bit XP or 64 bit Windows 7?
m
l
Related resources
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 20, 2010 12:47:25 AM

^ Ah yes you can RUN the transplanted HDD as long as all of the drivers are installed, but you cannot change a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS or visa versa; CPU 32-bit vs 64-bit upon start-up the new/different CPU will be recognized and the correct driver installed.

My latest oops was transferring data via eSATA transfer; the new PC was radically different old P4 -> new i7 930 and the OLD HDD started the NEW 100% different PC just fine.

However, I build all of rigs and use an OEM version of Windows; in contrast a DELL/HP/Etc install is often a stripped-down OS with less drivers, etc,
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2010 1:38:42 AM

You do not need a 64-bit OS. But since you need a new OS for other reasons, Win7 64 is the way to go.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 20, 2010 1:45:35 AM

dkmccann said:
Can you recommend 64 bit XP or 64 bit Windows 7?

XP 64-bit = B-A-D idea.
WIN 7 64-bit = Good idea.

However, VISTA ~ Windows ME; REAL B-A-D idea 32/64-bit. Solid WIN OS are XP SP3 32-bit and 7 32-bit/64-bit; 64-bit is required for RAM > 4GB {2^32 limit = 4GB max addressing}.
m
l
September 20, 2010 2:23:26 AM

Just sharing a recent experience that may help someone down the road. I decided to repurpose a couple of old Dell Precision 340-they have identical hardware. I installed Win XP 32, all pertinent drivers and a few apps on one, then created an image using Acronis. Loaded image to a fresh hard drive and stuck it in the other machine. Didn't work, just bluescreens. A friend of mine is of the opinion that, using the Dell XP cd, the install is keyed to the MB serial number. Loaded XP on the second machine using the traditional method and had no problems. Then created an image and installed to another new hard drive. Stuck this hard drive in the same machine and it booted fine, which bears out the theory, being that the hardware, including MB is exactly the same.
m
l
September 20, 2010 4:05:10 AM

Hi jaquith, and thanks for the advice. I have used nlite, and I agree it's great for speeding up and simplyfying the install process, while cutting down on some of the extra junk most people don't need installed anyway. I was curious to see if using the Dell XP cd would work, as I know a lot of people have a copy floating around in a desk drawer, and had no time constraints on getting these systems up and running. It was an interesting experiment.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 20, 2010 4:20:34 AM

^ Why bother - I posted a clean XP SP3 directly from Microsoft above. D/L and burn to a CD/DVD and you're done.
m
l
September 20, 2010 4:25:01 AM

Well sir, simply for the fun of seeing if it would work. :) 
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 20, 2010 4:26:53 AM

^ Before that I said - "in contrast a DELL/HP/Etc install is often a stripped-down OS with less drivers, etc"
m
l
September 20, 2010 4:44:32 AM

Oh, sure. I saw that in your previous post, and I agree with everything you said. I'm not saying I went about it the right way, I was just curious what the outcome might be. Just a "Hmm, I wonder what if..." kind of thing.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
September 20, 2010 5:20:15 AM

^ Typically, not good. In addition, ~ nliteos - Dell creates a scripted install that may or may not work properly. Meaning, some the the "add-on" apps and missing drivers can cause either wrong drivers being registered, and/or in many cases an installation halt. Years ago I tried using a GW NB installer and in short: required a OEM Windows purchase and never installed the apps because the environment wasn't recognized.

After that hard lesson - I was "learned" not to use those installers.
m
l
October 28, 2010 9:09:58 PM

Best answer selected by dkmccann.
m
l
!