GTX 295 or HD 5870

I would be building my new pc in about two months, Should i get GTX 295 or HD 5870 or wait for GTX 480/470. In future i would be looking forward to SLI/Crossfire.
11 answers Last reply
More about 5870
  1. Might be a smart move just to wait for Fermi, Fermi's release may bring down the prices of the HD5870 or Fermi may perform better than a HD5870, although most likely will cost more.

If you simply can't wait, then get a HD5870, performance is similar to a GTX295, less expensive, DX11, less heat, less power usage, eyefinity ............
  2. Wait for FERMI:
    Price drop in ATI cards if FERMI is on-par with price/performance ratio of ATI

I am waiting too
  3. ^+2

Agree with 2 people above... :)
    When FERMI release, it is possible the prices of the 5xxx series will be cheaper.
    Just wait for a while.
  4. ^+3

At this point, if you can wait, wait. If not, I would go with the 5870.
  5. In my opinion, you should wait for the release of the GTX 470/GTX 480( the new cards from Nvidia ). They're DX11 compatible and the advantage over 5870 is a memory interface of 384bit. The 5870 has 256 bit. Experts are guesstimating the price of ATI 5xxx to drop so I guess wait would be worth it..good luck buddy

PS: GTX 295 is a fast card but unfortunately it won't support DX11 which should be a priority these days.
  6. penslam said:
    In my opinion, you should wait for the release of the GTX 470/GTX 480( the new cards from Nvidia ). They're DX11 compatible and the advantage over 5870 is a memory interface of 384bit. The 5870 has 256 bit. Experts are guesstimating the price of ATI 5xxx to drop so I guess wait would be worth it..good luck buddy

PS: GTX 295 is a fast card but unfortunately it won't support DX11 which should be a priority these days.

memory bus isn't everything

i agree now for waiting for fermi
  7. mindless728 said:
    memory bus isn't everything

i agree now for waiting for fermi

you are apparently true..its a comparison factor..nevermind.
  8. just get the 5870 like me :) also they say that the performance of the fermi will not murder the 5870 + the fermi will be expensive like 450-550$ but performance increase isn't mind blowing.
  9. Get 5850, but if you can wait new DX11 Nvidia cards.
  10. Ooops meant 5870.
  11. If you aren't building for 2 months there's no reason not to wait. Even if the Nvidia cards weren't coming out the ATI cards might drop in price over that period.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx HD Graphics