Asus Sabertooth X58 on board sound problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

EflfK

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
I just put together a computer and the on board sound was working when first put together. I had issues with getting crossfire working with my 2xxfx hd 5850s. Some time during the installing and uninstalling of the video cards the on board sound stopped working.

I have checked that the default device is the on board. The bios has the on board sound enabled. All I hear is crackling as things open and close no sound otherwise.

Any advice? Is the board just shot?

Solution

If you reinstalled Window as you stated then yep your MOBO is toast. I don't know "how" you did it {pulling} a GPU while the rig was on or a "power" spike {bad PSU} - ??

Q - Did you OC the HD 5770?
It seems somehow the Sound drivers may have become corrupted; ATI has its own sound driver.

Recommendation 1 - Open the Device Manager and Uninstall all of the items listed [+] Sound and video game... right-click uninstall. Next, either restart or scan for new devices.

Recommendation 2 - D/L and reinstall Realtek Audio Driver - http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=AM2RChl84MZrKh6J&templete=2

Recommendation 3 - In the Control Panel verify that the "Realtek Audio" is the Default Audio device.

Link - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-fixing-common-sound-problems

Good Luck!

BTW - I seriously doubt it's your MOBO, and would bet $ on corruption.

EflfK

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
I have tried uninstalling all the sound drivers. I formatted and installed windows again last night in an attempt to get things working. No luck.

I'm beginning to think the board may have fried somehow.

If you reinstalled Window as you stated then yep your MOBO is toast. I don't know "how" you did it {pulling} a GPU while the rig was on or a "power" spike {bad PSU} - ??

Q - Did you OC the HD 5770?

Solution

EflfK

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
Did not OC anything yet was still trying to just get XFire working. Every time I unplugged a gpu I Turned power to psu off, unplugged and then held power button down for 5 seconds. I was very careful with that. Sounds like bad luck o well. This is honestly the second asus board I have had a serious problem with. I have worked with several other boards and never had an issue with any other brand.

Guess I should not have given them another chance.

G

I am having a similar problem. I'm using the ASUS sabertooth x58 and a ASUS EAH5850 Radeon HD 5850. It's a new build. Ever since I first installed windows 7-64 and loaded the drivers the rear green audio jack outputs in the right speaker only while the front audio jack gives stereo. I've installed the latest drivers, no help. I've disabled the front audio jack thinking that only one will work at a time, no help. I've disabled the HDMI drivers on the video card thinking that it was taking over the audio, no help. I'm out of ideas and I'm hoping someone can think of something I've missed.

Thanks

poisonedfate

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I am having a similar problem. I'm using the ASUS sabertooth x58 and a ASUS EAH5850 Radeon HD 5850. It's a new build. Ever since I first installed windows 7-64 and loaded the drivers the rear green audio jack outputs in the right speaker only while the front audio jack gives stereo. I've installed the latest drivers, no help. I've disabled the front audio jack thinking that only one will work at a time, no help. I've disabled the HDMI drivers on the video card thinking that it was taking over the audio, no help. I'm out of ideas and I'm hoping someone can think of something I've missed.

Thanks

I had the same thing. I did EVERYTHING! Trust me, You probably didn't fry the board. I thought that, too. I even contacted ASUS to try and get a new board. They told me I could only get a refurbished board when i sent my old one in, and sent my board back saying nothing was wrong with it. Screw ASUS, they didn't help me worth *** so they lost a customer for life.

dankhimself

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Post resurrection sorry, but I have the same problem. Not sure why this says solved, maybe I don't understand it, but bear with me.

I've pulled the board and checked for short to ground problems on the mobo tray, but nothing. I installed my X-fi card when I got the board and never used the on-board, but now I try and use it, and the same thing. I can hear mouse/keyboard/windows loading and all that.

I have done it all correctly, uninstalling all drivers, restarting, stopping windows auto install and using the latest drivers(also bios/chipset and the rest).

I get nothing at all when sound should be playing, Ive cranked up my speakers (logi 5.1 system) and played youtube and music full blast and not even a whisper.

I also see in the windows volume control that about every 10-20 seconds a little blip of sound signal is seen in the volume bars, you know how the volume level bars fill with green color to show fluctuating sound inputs

Also in my realtek HD audio manager it shows the front panel mic jack as the saturated color icon (like something is plugged in). Since the rear panel icons have only saturated color icons for the speaker wires i have plugged in, and it shows me the popup window if i unplug and plug them in, as well as becoming grayed out when unplugged.

The mic jack icon, on the other hand, never becomes grayed out, i have unplugged the front panel jack from the board to no avail.

So since this seemed like a physical issue with the rear jack at first, the front mic glitch makes me think that there is a problem with the mobo feature that lets you reassign the front panel jack. i have tried changing the assignment of the jack with no progress either.

and unless i disable the front panel jack detection, the front panel green icon stays bold and saturated as if I have something plugged in.

I know it seems like a physical issue, but i think it has to something to do with the reassignment feature of the front panel jack connector that came with the board, i think its on all x58 boards. I just don't know where to go from here.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I can use the x-fi, but I would really like to figure this out, is bugging me that this doesn't work. Thank you.

EVGA X-58 SLI3 board
I-7 950 @4.1 ghz
Twin EVGA GTX 570s in sli
12gb corsair XMS 3
CoolerMaster V-6 w/aerocool sharks.....(red)
Lian Li mid tower case with disc drive style hdd caddy.
64 GB SSD, (microcenter model, not much info)
1TB WD 7200 RPM HDD
320GB WD 7200 RPM HDD
COOLMAX 1000W Modular cable psu.
Sound Blaster X-Fi card(removed for troubleshooting, as well as drivers)

EVGAX58SLI3AUDIOISSUE.png

EDIT for spelling and missing info.

Hi there,

Open a new question thread on your problem, that is the best way to get helped : )

Status
Not open for further replies.