Sign in with
Your question

WOW! shocked at the level of ignorance...

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 4, 2010 4:40:23 PM

I posted the following a day ago. I received no responses. It's a valid question and not that technical. I spoke with someone that IS technical and he advised to call the police. Due to the data I had on my lap top, the only explanation was that this man was in my area on the specified days. You can spoof a MAC address, and I THINK maybe an SSID. I have proof of an SSID that is NOT welcome. I will also ad that the router was named Belkin by default, then changed the the name that is in question. I CHANGED THE NAME OF MY NETWORK QUICKLY because I didnt want my network to be named after and X. Months later... after we're not together.... his last name shows up on my SSID. He lives FAR away. I'm going to cut and paste his IT experience. (I'm a lay person)- my question is... how do I prove this man was cyber stalking me? I have the WLAN log with Mac addresses and SSID's- but it cuts off the reporting RIGHT after I can prove that he's on my network through a different log. I know I'm not insane, and actually more intelligent than most. PSSSS- he gave me the lap top I'm on, and set up my router (to a desk top)- with a static IP address. Any advice, info, direction as to where I can CONFIRM he was in my pc, would be helpful

Experienced International Project Manager
Travelled all over the globe to run corporate I/T based projects. Over 8 years of successful I/T Project Managament experience. Projects consisted of software upgrades and system deployments for Fortune 500 corporations and major Cruise Lines

Seasoned I/T Manager
Managed or supervised the I/T Break/Fix Departments for both Carnival Cruise Lines and Banctec at Lockheed Martin. Broke company records by reducing the queues to managable levels. Implemented SLA's and technical procedures to reduce call times to appropriate levels. This allowed more work to be done in a shorter amount of time by fewer personnel.

I/T Recruiter
Recruited candidates for jobs ranging from small project technicians to Sr. department heads. Recruited for accounting and Information technology.
Mark Marino’s Specialties:

Project Management, Recruiting, I/T Management
Mark Marino’s Experience

President
Healing Laser Clinics, Inc.

(Medical Practice industry)

Currently holds this position
I/T Project Manager
International Recruiting Group

(Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Information Technology and Services industry)

March 2004 — August 2006 (2 years 6 months)

Managed I/T and systems integration projects all over the globe for Cruise Lines. Projected risks and budget analysis. Managed 20 + contractors at both corporate and offsite locations including shipyards in Finland and Italy.

Recruited contractors for various I/T positions through Monster.com and social networks. Created access databases to accurately track large scale system deployment projects.
IT Projext Manager
TEKsystems

(Privately Held; 10,001 or more employees; Information Technology and Services industry)

2000 — 2004 (4 years )
IT Project Manager
TEKsystems

(Privately Held; 10,001 or more employees; Information Technology and Services industry)

2000 — 2004 (4 years )
I/T Project Manager
Carnival Cruise Lines

(Public Company; 5001-10,000 employees; Information Technology and Services industry)

February 2000 — July 2004 (4 years 6 months)

Managed I/T and systems integration projects all over the globe for Cruise Lines. Projected risks and budget analysis. Managed 20 + contractors at both corporate and offsite locations including shipyards in Finland and Italy.

Recruited contractors for various I/T positions through Monster.com and social networks. Created access databases to accurately track large scale system deployment projects.

April 4, 2010 4:52:01 PM

I think I'm I'm the wrong place... I read the other logs and this above MANY people heads. If you can wrap your brain around SIMPLE network/port sniffing.... then PLEASE send me a message. I am learning that I'm not as much of a lay person as I thought. I'm moving on to a more experienced blog.
m
l
April 4, 2010 6:32:20 PM

Hello and welcome to Toms Hardware. Surely a day isn't a long time to wait over a holiday weekend for advice but since you haven't received any, here's my little snippet.

Depending upon where you live and how busy your local law-enforcers are, I would suspect there's very little chance of making charges for this get off the ground let alone stick. He - if it is a he - wouldn't be charged with cyber-stalking because that would mean having to prove intent and since that's a state of mind, I doubt the authorities would bother. The charge in my country would be fraudulent conversion of your DSL signal - much the same as if he had plugged into your electricity supply and stolen some power. Again, since wireless became more widespread and wardriving fell by the wayside, charges are very rare.

Far better to change your settings to allow for automatic DHCP instead of a static ip, secure the wireless signal with a really strong WPA/PSK2 key that only you will know and move on. Technical advice on those aspects will be available here if required.

m
l
Related resources
April 4, 2010 8:57:59 PM

Hi Saga! Thank you for the reply. Cyber stalking is severe, I concur. I simply want to confirm that this man was on my network or had remote access. I listed his resume and it's clear that on a professional level he knows what he's doing. He will not hurt from what I know of him, as games such as this are fun for him. I just dont want him to play them with me. I'm a single parent and my energies need to be directed elsewhere. Sadly, when you have laid with a voyeur, youre screwed literally and figuratively. I am seeking hard data that shows he has been on my PC. My event logger cut off days PRIOR to the date that I needed data showing a mac address. I'm not a dumb woman.... he is not a dumb man....
m
l
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 5, 2010 1:25:00 AM

also don't broadcast your wireless network.let it run in stealth!
m
l
April 5, 2010 8:36:28 AM

Learning12 said:
Hi Saga! Thank you for the reply. Cyber stalking is severe, I concur. I simply want to confirm that this man was on my network or had remote access. I listed his resume and it's clear that on a professional level he knows what he's doing. He will not hurt from what I know of him, as games such as this are fun for him. I just dont want him to play them with me. I'm a single parent and my energies need to be directed elsewhere. Sadly, when you have laid with a voyeur, youre screwed literally and figuratively. I am seeking hard data that shows he has been on my PC. My event logger cut off days PRIOR to the date that I needed data showing a mac address. I'm not a dumb woman.... he is not a dumb man....

|If this is a former relationship thing try the Police and see if they'll investigate. Also, though, try Area51's suggestion. When you go into your router settings to change the security key as I recommended earlier, also tick to Hide SSID and don't forget to Apply or Save the changes - whichever appears at the bottom of each settings page. His only route into your computer is through your router - secure it and hide it from the outside world and he can't get in. Proving history of his already having done so is a harder thing to do.

Once you've done the above, you need to run some malware scans to kill all traces of anything he may have planted - keyloggers, for example. For that I recommend MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware for which you can Google but you may like to download and scan with Trendmicro's HijackThis and post a log in the appropriate Board here at Tom's.

m
l
!