FX-6200 Zambezi; 16gb Sniper Ram OC

therealdannye

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Hey, guys. I need some OC expertise. I know the forums here are going to be able to provide much better advice than me dicking around in my bios/built-in-OC.

I run this setup right now:

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX

EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

AMD FX-6200 Zambezi 3.8GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor

2 x G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900

My MB has a built in OC software, but it doesn't seem like it actually does what I tell it to do when I let it decide what to OC.

I'd manually tamper with it all, but last time I tried... I got a crazy blue screen and decided to back off and let someone else suggest my settings.

What can I do to bump it up more?
And can anyone tell me why my RAM wants to run in 1600 and not 1866?

scorpinock2

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Ok so for your RAM, AMD processors only natively support DDR3 1600 Mhz, so for your RAM to run and the speeds and timings that you want, you need to manually input those into the BIOS through various settings like RAM speed and memory timings. I would never use the manual over clocking software on your motherboard, simply because it usually over volts your processor, making it's heat out put and inefficiency increase. There are a lot of ways to tamper with the overclock that it already did but it's best to do it on your own. For over clocking, all you need to do is mess around with the multiplier, Frontside Bus, and voltages. If you just use the Multiplier and the CPU offset voltage then you don't have to worry about messing with your RAM as this method isolates the over clock to your CPU. This method works well, but you usually need a lot more voltage on your CPU which equals to more heat. If you use the FSB it over clocks everything, and you need to raise voltages on your RAM, South bridge, and other components under that menu, but you up the voltages on your CPU less, which spreads the heat evenly among the system, and if you have a good motherboard with proper VRM hearsinks and so on, then you won't notice much of a temperature increase on the motherboard and you will see less heat on the CPU. Using a combination of both is the best. You can up the speed of your CPU and RAM, you can even up the speed of your RAM past 1866 Mhz (if it has proper cooling and can take 1.65 Volts). I would recommend upping the FSB until your RAM hits 1866Mhz then set the speed to 1600 Mhz, then Input the proper speeds and timings, and then adjust the processor multiplier and voltages across the motherboard.

chinga

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012

I'm running same mobo and processor and had same problem. But I was oc from the bios. Everything seemed to take/run better after I updated my bios. I'm at a stable 4300. The other poster is correct about the ram. Our mobos only support 1600 and I am only able to oc with my ram at 1600. When I bumb it up, it never works right. Also, I am new to this oc as well.

--Chinga

Amd fx-6200 @ 4300 stable
asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0
8 g ram