Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Poor Performance with HD 5850?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 3, 2010 12:26:31 PM

Hello all, I recently bought a Sapphire HD 5850 and i am not very impressed with its preformance. For $300 i expected this card to tear throught every game i threw at it. Tempeture is not a problem because it is watercooled and the card is overclock to the highest catalyst allows. The fps i am getting in crysis its usually 25-45 fps. I ran the game at 1280X720 an all high settings on Windows xp. The AA is set at 8x. And on GTA IV on maxed out settings the game runs terribly at 20 fps and i ocasionaly get these lag spikes where i get 1 fps. Are these Reults on par with what others are getting.

My systam specs are:
Phenom II 965
4gb G.skill ddr3 1600
Crosshair III Motherboard
Corsair HX850

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
arsenal553

More about : poor performance 5850

February 3, 2010 12:32:57 PM

RCPilot
February 3, 2010 12:35:43 PM

What the.....?

5850 not running CRYSIS at 1280x720

Did you installed the drivers?
Related resources
February 3, 2010 12:36:54 PM

mfarrukh said:
RCPilot


What do u mean?
Is there any connection with MOD?
February 3, 2010 12:39:23 PM

wa1 said:
What do u mean?
Is there any connection with MOD?



Sorry about that
February 3, 2010 12:46:46 PM

Try running 3dmark vantage and compare your GPU score with similar systems.

Also was your previous card Nvidia? did your perform a driver sweep to get rid of any old drivers?
February 3, 2010 1:22:48 PM

At that resolution you'd almost not be using the GPU at all... Why on earth overclock a GPU that much to play at such a low resolution.. a 4770 would be more than you need for it.

How fast is the CPU running? First thing I'd look at is wiping the drivers and installing them again. After that, make sure the CPU is not throttling back while you game (i.e. overheating).

By the way, water cooling will only cool enough if it is done right ;) . You might want to check temperatures throughout the system to make sure all is well. A max OC 5850 is a lot to put on the same loop with an over clocked CPU as well, unless you have a very large rad. Just assuming nothing is overheating because it is water cooled is the fastest way to fry something.

Did you stability test it? What is the voltage on the card? I assume you didn't modify the voltage with a bios flash? Heat is not the only thing that can cause it to break or run into issues.. you should test the card at stock to make sure it is all working well before you over clock it... never mind crank it to max. There are a hundred things that could keep it from working properly at an OC other than heat... mind you CCC seems to limit 5850's quite a bit at stock, so we are not talking 1ghz core here unless you modified the bios, or got a special edition card.
February 3, 2010 1:40:52 PM

GTAIV runs horribley on all but the highest tier of systems, regardless of resolution. it is a crap console port that no amount of GPU power will overcome, without a top tier OC'd CPU to power.

Crysis with 8xaa? Even at 1280x720, that is a huge load to dump on a GPU. Mind you, I can run Crysis Warhead at 1280x720 in enthusiast settings w/ 2xaa and keep a steady 30-40fps, and my card is no where near as powerful as yours. As I remember, when running Crysis on XP64, I could put to max settings in 1280x720 at 4xaa and keep a minimum of 25fps.
February 3, 2010 7:22:15 PM

I wiped the system and reinstalled all my drivers and it did not help at all. the card i had before this one was a hd 4850 and i got about 20 fps on crysis at very high with no AA. The temps on my card are very low. I stressed the card with fur mark and it only went as high as 40C
February 3, 2010 7:51:42 PM

Something you can check is in the ATI CCC, which type of AA is being used. I don't remember but its possible that "Edge-Detect" is the default. However, if you use this then at 8x, you are actually getting 24x CFAA (very very taxing). Switch it to "box" to get true 8xMSAA (also lightens the load).

That being said, I think the culprit is going to be your CPU. For both Crysis but especially GTA IV, the faster your CPU the better the performance will be. So if you haven't OC'd that, you should and see if you get a fair increase of performance.

I'd also say that going from 20 fps at very high with no AA in Crysis to 25-45 fps on very high with 8xAA is quite a gain. You should do an apples-to-apples comparison there and run Crysis on very high with no AA and see what you get.
February 3, 2010 8:09:56 PM

^+1 If you running everything high on Crysis and worried about the dips it's not the GPU that slowing you down, but your CPU. Lower some of the more CPU intensive settings and your FPS will be higher, or overclock your CPU. As for GTA 4 , well, c'mon! It's not exactly the best port!
February 4, 2010 12:54:24 AM

hardwaretechy said:
Something you can check is in the ATI CCC, which type of AA is being used. I don't remember but its possible that "Edge-Detect" is the default. However, if you use this then at 8x, you are actually getting 24x CFAA (very very taxing). Switch it to "box" to get true 8xMSAA (also lightens the load).

That being said, I think the culprit is going to be your CPU. For both Crysis but especially GTA IV, the faster your CPU the better the performance will be. So if you haven't OC'd that, you should and see if you get a fair increase of performance.

I'd also say that going from 20 fps at very high with no AA in Crysis to 25-45 fps on very high with 8xAA is quite a gain. You should do an apples-to-apples comparison there and run Crysis on very high with no AA and see what you get.


I said that i run the game in windows xp on all high settings.
February 4, 2010 3:01:20 AM

Do you have the latest Crysis (1.2.1) and are you using the 64 bit launcher? Also, where are you testing to get these framerates? Have you checked to make sure no processes are running in the background that hog memory/HDD? Crysis does often jerk when saving the game. Also, is Vsync on or off (in CCC and in Game). And what is the bottom AA slider set to (MSAA, Adaptive or SSAA)?
February 4, 2010 11:41:47 AM

EXT64 said:
Do you have the latest Crysis (1.2.1) and are you using the 64 bit launcher? Also, where are you testing to get these framerates? Have you checked to make sure no processes are running in the background that hog memory/HDD? Crysis does often jerk when saving the game. Also, is Vsync on or off (in CCC and in Game). And what is the bottom AA slider set to (MSAA, Adaptive or SSAA)?


The game is fully patched and everything in CCC is set to application settings. And the stuttering doesnt happen when it is saving. I got these framerates when i ran the crysis benchmark program.
!