Fan Speeding up to highest speed right after booting Pentium 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrus_cse

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
After booting up, and right at the log in screen, my computer's CPU fan starts spinning really fast without the CPU even being hot yet. I touched the heat sink and it was cold. It's a 3 GHZ Pentium 4 Prescott, and I've tried reseating the processor, reseating the heat sink and reseating the fan, nothing has helped. Any Help?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Wait after it speeds up super fast, does it slow down again to normal once everything is booted?

If that occurs then its normal. When you start up a motor on a low setting it can break. Hence why most products with fans in them or some other motor will usually have the high setting set to first after the off button.

If your heatsink spins up to full and then stays like that then you can change the setting through software.

cyrus_cse

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Wait after it speeds up super fast, does it slow down again to normal once everything is booted?

If that occurs then its normal. When you start up a motor on a low setting it can break. Hence why most products with fans in them or some other motor will usually have the high setting set to first after the off button.

If your heatsink spins up to full and then stays like that then you can change the setting through software.
I just tried that and it the fan doesn't slow down, my computer didn't use the be like this I've never heard it reach this speed before.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Mhm...well if does this now and didn't do it before, something had to change. Not really an expert on this, hopefully somebody else can help better, but I would download a software called SPEEDFAN. I am pretty sure you can control fan speeds in your computer with that and can decrease your CPU fan speed.

Either way, its better to have it spin on maximum and cool your CPU then not spin at all and burn out your CPU.

cyrus_cse

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

Just did that and didn't make a difference, fan is still getting to that same high speed.

cyrus_cse

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I think I should also mention that I had reapplied the thermal paste, because my old one has dried up, I used AS5 this time, and I also upgraded my video card from a Geforce 7300LE to a Geforce 8400GS

xaira

Distinguished
well, i dont know what dell uses, but for my 2.8ghz prescott i use a stock cooler from a q6600, and the fan pretty much always runs at full, and my idle temp is pretty much around 50*, prescotts are known to run hot, i would say this is normal, what are the temps ur getting? if ur temps are acceptible, maube you can use speed fan or something to lower the rpm

cyrus_cse

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

Heatsink is attached, but I will try reapplying the AS5 tomorrow.

cyrus_cse

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

Well i start up speedfan and all I can see is my GPU temperature which is at 47 degrees, no option to change the fan speed or check the temperature for my cpu.

xaira

Distinguished
see if you can get the temp with this
http://cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

you see where it says (speed01:100%) etc, try lowering each to 60% to know which 1 controls the cpu fan

SpeedFan.JPG

bql500

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
This used to happen once in a while with my P4. High fan speed at startup, then the speed goes down.

I eventually had to replace the fan, because it became very noisy. I think the bearings were gone, because it was making a vibrating noise.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
My P4 always did that and it was normal for me. I ran the P4 for over 5 years on an intel mb just like that. No probs. ever. I assumed it was caused by full power to the fan prior to the mb voltage control of the fan loading.

cyrus_cse

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I just re-applied the AS5 and the fan doesn't reach the crazy high speeds anymore, but still is loud for about 3 or 4 minutes, quiets down and occasionaly speeds up, but I guess the problem has been solved. Thanks.

cyrus_cse

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

I got the heat sink on (not too difficult as it's Dell designed for people who are not so great with computers), and I've been monitoring the temperature and adjusting the fan speeds manually.

G

I had the same thing happen to me today when replacing a motherboard with one of the same exact model. Only difference being the fan runs at normal speed for about 3 seconds then accelerates to full speed and stays there forever. After re-seating the heatsink 4 times and trying different cpu fans I eventually checked the bios version and noticed that it was the oldest possible version for this motherboard where the one I replaced surely had at least one of the updated versions so I installed the latest revision 5.29 up from 5.10 and was pretty skeptical of what the results would be but sure enough it fired up with the fan at normal speed right away and kept it that way. No more annoyingly loud 100% cpu fan.

I just thought I'd mention this for anyone else who finds this thread while searching for an answer to their problem as I did. One thing to note is if you've been watching your cpu temps with the fan at 100% prepare to be disappointed with them after you fix that "problem." :p Sadly the fan running at a reasonable rate will never compete to the temps I had with the fan running at 100%, but this comp has a crappy heatsink so impressive temps really shouldn't be expected.

bladehopper

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Just wanted to add that I just had a similar problem starting this morning.
My HP Phoenix 1060sc system (5 months old) had fans running at max speed from boot.

SpeedFan showed that the TMPIN1 was runnning af 99 deg. celcius / 210 deg. F.
The CPU didn't get warm though so I expected something else was wrong.

Several restarts later I tried running CPUID that showed the internal temp. of all 4 CPU cores (i2600) and they were low (30 deg. C).

TMPIN1 is reading 35 deg. celcius now... much better:

I found a manual on the net for my Motherboard (Petragon - ASUS manufactured?) and found the pin to reset the BIOS. From the next boot everything was good. A nice an quiet computer...

I had to remove graphics card and cabling to get to those jumpers so but it was well worth the work :)

yihaar!

/dann

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS