Question, HELP please!!

workingpapi

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Hello, Could you tell me what's best.. 9400GT 1GB DDR2 or 8600GTS 256MB DDR3 ?? and would any of those two have a decent performance on current games? (resolutions are o priority)

Thank you!

Solution
If a game has a hardcoded requirement for more video memory, then it probably won't play on the 256mb card without a hack of some sort, if there is one even available.

It is a close call, so it probably wouldn't be worth it to spend money on another card that would mostly be a sidestep in performance. You may not see a significant increase in performance, and blowing a limited budget on a tiny upgrade might hurt more than dealing with the performance difference.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Hey,

Neither is a good gaming card--these are low end cards that are probably only good for low resolutions or older games.

Are you in the US? What retailers do you have available?

If you are interested in playing current games the cheapest cards you should consider are an ATI 4670 or Nvidia GT 240.

workingpapi

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Thanks, but no.. I'm not in the US.. let me explain you though.. I currently have a 9400GT 1GB DDR2.. and due to budget limitations I am planning on buying that 8600GTS OC2 256mb DDR3.. which has higher clocks and twice shaders, however my main concern is if the big gap in memory amount will have a negative impact... Honestly the 9400GT has worked .. let's say fine enough with games I play, like COD4, 6, RE5, Crysis .. I usually play in 1024-768 or 1280*1024 honestly higher resolutions are not a priority for me but no lagging is.

So what would you say is better? 1GB ddr2 ... or 256MB DDR3 ? .

Thanks in advance

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Strike Crysis frmo that list as neither card will play that game well at all, and the 256mb DDR3 will probably perform better. The fact is, high amounts of memory on budget video cards (more than 512mb) is a marketting gimmick. DDR2 is severly limitting as well, when compared to DDR3.

If it was me, I would probably take the 8600gts, and forget about a silky smooth, high detail experience in Crysis.

workingpapi

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Jajaja... Thank you, I kinda' know.. about the silky smooth... ... experience in Crysis, but again, I'm kinda limited budget-wise.. and this is what I can currently afford.. trust me as I'm able to, I'll surely get a decent card... But thanks for the comments anyway!! :)

So, you do agree DDR3 performs better.. but let me ask you now then.. even if it was a 512MB DDR2.. will the 256MB DDR3 still perform better.. ? I mean.. what about those games that have 512MB minimum requirement.. (Graphics-wise) will they still play?

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
If a game has a hardcoded requirement for more video memory, then it probably won't play on the 256mb card without a hack of some sort, if there is one even available.

It is a close call, so it probably wouldn't be worth it to spend money on another card that would mostly be a sidestep in performance. You may not see a significant increase in performance, and blowing a limited budget on a tiny upgrade might hurt more than dealing with the performance difference.

Solution

workingpapi

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
... Man, that will probably be the BEST answer to this question! very very nice advise.. Thank you!

Still, let me ask you cause i honestly didn't know that.. are there games that have a "hardcoded" memory requirement?? meaning, will the installer ACTUALLY verify tha amount of video memory u have before allowing u to install the game..? can u name some examples..?

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

These were my thoughts exactly. You should save your money until you can get something that is actually a step up in performance.

You dont want to pay the same price again for what would really only be a small performance increase.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

An example is the settings limitation in GTAIV based upon your total graphics memory, regardless of actual card power, or the speed of the memory. My buddies DDR2 4670 1gb allows for higher settings (not performance mind you, heh) then my 4870 with 512mb of DDR5, without resorting to a workaround.

Most games will install, but refuse to run if you don't have a bare minimum requirement. Some of those requirements are based on the actual model of GPU being used, some are based on the graphics specs, like total amount of graphics memory, or DX version. It is different from game to game, how and where these limitations are implemented, but pretty much any modern game will give you crap if you try to run below spec.

workingpapi

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
That's truth.. what about a HD3650 or even HD3850 ? 256mb DDR3 ...

Still I am already concerned about anything that has a 256MB tag on it.. due to what jofamang said about the hardcoded (or softcoded in any case) games.. are there such games?

workingpapi

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010

So what about the 3850 ...? it is still a 256MB DDR3, so I should have the same problem then huh?

F*** it.. you are right I think, I'll probably just keep my 9400GT and save for some decent card then..

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

Probably your best bet. Good luck, and when you decide to dip your toes in the upgrade pond again, don't be afraid to ask for advice. :D