Sign in with
Your question

How to How to make an access point out of a wusb54g to share internet

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 4, 2010 5:26:03 PM

Hi,
My Desktop PC runs Windows XP SP3 and I connect to Broadband Internet using a usual wired ADSL modem/router VIA Ethernet.
I recently bought a WUSB54G USB wireless adapter.. I want to setup this wireless adapter as an access point so that i can connect my smartphone to it through wifi and access my desktops internet connection.
Can someone give me detailed, step by step instructions on how to go about this ...
Thanks ...
April 4, 2010 6:48:10 PM

ivar5000 said:
Hi,
My Desktop PC runs Windows XP SP3 and I connect to Broadband Internet using a usual wired ADSL modem/router VIA Ethernet.
I recently bought a WUSB54G USB wireless adapter.. I want to setup this wireless adapter as an access point so that i can connect my smartphone to it through wifi and access my desktops internet connection.
Can someone give me detailed, step by step instructions on how to go about this ...
Thanks ...

Your smartphone doesn't need the USB adapter to connect - it can go direct to the router for the signal it ships out. You only need that adapter at all if you propose to make a wireless connection between computer and router. If you're happy to continue to connect through the ethernet cable, see if the supplier will give you a refund.

m
l
Anonymous
April 6, 2010 7:33:02 AM

As Saga Lout says, you don't need the wireless adapter you've bought (not at this point anyway).

But your post suggests that your current modem router lacks wireless.

You presumably want to use wifi from your smart phone to your landline-supplied internet to save the cost of using the cellphone network provider's access to the internet.

You need to add a wireless access point to the present modem router or replace it entirely with an integrated modem/router with wireless inbuilt (usually just called a wireless router).

Once you have that you could use the USB wireless adapter to connect your computer wirelessly to the router. But I wouldn't bother. Ethernet link, as at present, is faster and more reliable.

To be frank I'm not sure I'd really endorse your plan -- internet on a phone is a pretty poor experience and the only real benefit is when you're not at home.
Much better to use the computer for internet when you're home.
m
l
Related resources
!