Eisbrecher34

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
I was wondering if someone could help me understand what RAMdisk is good for and what it can do. I know it acts pretty much as a "virtual" Hard Drive with speeds way faster than an SSD, but since it is utilized by your RAM, it will dump everything on shutdown.

I have 8 gigs of RAM, but I only use about 3-4, so I was thinking about making a 2-4 gig RAM disk, but all I do is play games and utilize the internet. I don't do any photo / video editing and the only time I am decrompessing a file is when I download an already compressed one. My question is will I have any use in using a RAM disk or should I just stick with what I have?

Solution
If you like to tinker with stuff, a RAM disk might be for you. Not really for everyday use unless you have the need, but a decent free one like the 4gb Dataram RAMDisk works well. There is a benchmark page for different software HERE and most run pretty similar.

You can put anything on there that you use a lot and you will notice the speed -- I use one as a scratch disk for photoshop or premiere occasionally just for fun.

RealBeast

Titan
If you like to tinker with stuff, a RAM disk might be for you. Not really for everyday use unless you have the need, but a decent free one like the 4gb Dataram RAMDisk works well. There is a benchmark page for different software HERE and most run pretty similar.

You can put anything on there that you use a lot and you will notice the speed -- I use one as a scratch disk for photoshop or premiere occasionally just for fun.

Solution