FX 8350 can't overclock AT ALL

So I just bought an FX 8350 , it came in the mail today...
I am upgradeing from a Phenom 2 970 BE (stock 3.5, OC to 4.00 for 1+ years stable)

Specs are as:
AsRock Extreme 4 970 mobo (yes I have the lates 2.2 bios update)
AMD FX 8350 CPU
Asus Xonar DG soundcard
Gigabyte GTX 670 oc
Gigabyte GTX 550ti
OCZ Agility 3 60gb SSD
3 various HDDs
Custom water cooling loop for CPU, GPU, AND motherboard (pretty extreme cooling setup)
Windows 8 pro

Well I plugged in my new CPU and it booted fine, Prime95, HwMonitor, speedfan, all good
As soon as I try to over clock it everything goes to ***.
I can't even increase the multiplier by 1 without it BSOD under load...

I thought this CPU was made to OC
And temp is a NON ISSUE (30degrees max under load)

I tried to up the voltage, i dissabled turbo boost, dissabled cool and quiet, tried to mess around with BIOS settings, I can not figure this out.

I bought this chip with the plan of getting to 5 ghz... yet I can't even get to 4.2ghz...

Does anyone have any advice on this? Idk if I should return it or what?
24 answers Last reply
More about 8350 overclock
  1. I also do have ram
    I forgot lol
    DDR3 1333mhz micro center brand @ 12gb
  2. i think it might be the ram thats unstable with the cpu.
  3. What is your power supply model?
  4. chnchapters said:
    So I just bought an FX 8350 , it came in the mail today...
    I am upgradeing from a Phenom 2 970 BE (stock 3.5, OC to 4.00 for 1+ years stable)

    Specs are as:
    AsRock Extreme 4 970 mobo (yes I have the lates 2.2 bios update)
    AMD FX 8350 CPU
    Asus Xonar DG soundcard
    Gigabyte GTX 670 oc
    Gigabyte GTX 550ti
    OCZ Agility 3 60gb SSD
    3 various HDDs
    Custom water cooling loop for CPU, GPU, AND motherboard (pretty extreme cooling setup)
    Windows 8 pro

    Well I plugged in my new CPU and it booted fine, Prime95, HwMonitor, speedfan, all good
    As soon as I try to over clock it everything goes to ***.
    I can't even increase the multiplier by 1 without it BSOD under load...

    I thought this CPU was made to OC
    And temp is a NON ISSUE (30degrees max under load)

    I tried to up the voltage, i dissabled turbo boost, dissabled cool and quiet, tried to mess around with BIOS settings, I can not figure this out.

    I bought this chip with the plan of getting to 5 ghz... yet I can't even get to 4.2ghz...

    Does anyone have any advice on this? Idk if I should return it or what?

    To clock mine on the same motherboard I've disabled cool n quiet & turbo, set LLC at 1/2, disabled thermal throttling, I have 1.5v OC on Cpu and I went up two steps on NB voltage. We have different ram also as I'm using G.Skill Ripjaws 1600hmz.

    The difference we have is I'm still running Windows 7 ulitmate 64 bit (don't know if Windows 8 could cause you difficulty on your OC). Do need to know what your power supply is, I'm running a Corsair GS700. I use a lot of power as I run SLI with my video cards and a 3 monitor setup. I even have the video cards OC with a one step bump in voltage also.

    If you touch anything else outside of the multipler,CPUvoltage and NB voltage it will crash or BSOD. So don't touch anything else outside of the 3 things I listed. Right now I'm at 4.7 OC stable. I can do 4.8 for awhile but not stable everyday and I believe it's a power issue when I try for this.

    And with this MB you shouldn't need the soundcard you added to your setup. I take it the 550ti is for phsyx and if your running just one monitor the 670 is more than enough for phsyx and your video card needs. These could save you on power draw.
  5. Sorry my PSU is a Kingwin 850watt... It's pretty new too, I don't think that is the issue...
  6. The sound card makes a huge difference with my headphone setup as it has a built in headphone amp, and headphones is what I use most often...

    I am running 2 monitors on this setup and the second one is plugged into my 550ti but yes, it is for PhysX




  7. I don't know if this helps?
  8. Have you tried to loosen your RAM timings?
  9. On RAM, per the guide stickied in this forum, you need to set the RAM timings otherwise the board will try to adjust the RAM to scale with the CPU multiplier. My very first foray at overclocking my FX-6300 had this step missing and I could touch anything either. I had to reset the BIOS in order to recover.
  10. My setup is the fx3850 and Asus Crosshair V Formula AMD 990FX, with 16 of corsair dominator 1866 mhz and the corsair H80i water cooler, and can hit 5ghz at 1.440 v it has had the bios flash as well my power supply is corsair 750 watts hope this helps, and i am on windows 8 pro 64bit.

    and think i may be able to go to 5.2ghz
  11. chnchapters said:
    Sorry my PSU is a Kingwin 850watt... It's pretty new too, I don't think that is the issue...



    I think that your problem lies with the ram and psu. make sure your psu is bronze rated or above and get some good ram

    like g skill or corsair or crucial anything but that microtell ram
  12. jbollinger0 said:
    I think that your problem lies with the ram and psu. make sure your psu is bronze rated or above and get some good ram

    like g skill or corsair or crucial anything but that microtell ram


    Being bronze-rated doesn't mean much of anything about the PSU's quality. Some PSUs lie about their efficiency and some somewhat efficient PSUs have junk reliability anyway.
  13. yup its either the psu or the cpu is faulty itself
  14. just a through it may be your ram that stopping you if you have ddr3 1600 then give it a try.

    and i have hit 5.2 with mine at 1.48 volts at 25.5 multilayer.
  15. I have ASrock Extreme3 970 with an 8350. Having same problem. I'm completely stable in prime95 @4.5ghz 1.5V with all power throttling disabled. LLC Enabled. Now it's running stable like I said...@ 1.5V 4.5ghz max temp 45C. I know temp isn't an issue, but in cpu-z it drops core clocks down to 1400mhz for like 4-5 seconds then goes back up to 4500mhz.....Why is it throttling in prime 95?
  16. Are you sure that's not just core parking or something similar?
  17. I noticed on my Extreme 3 970 board it would behave similarly although at a lower clock. It would be intermittent at worst but it did drop. However, Windows recognized it at the speed I was targeting so I didn't worry about it. Now, I couldn't attain stability in prime95 so I reverted back to defaults but that's probably on me.
  18. ITS THE MOBO! After a long year of fighting with errors and blue screens, then replacing every other component in the computer it has come down to this. That 970 Extreme 4, is an extreme piece of ***. Buy a proven brand, read into it, and spend those extra few dollars to avoid crap like this. I had a Fx 6100 on this board and that also was experiencing the same issue as the FX 8350 I have now completely unstable, and limits overclocking on my 7950....

    Get a new board, *** them for selling this *** never buying Asrock again after this
  19. ASRock is a proven brand. They usually don't cause such problems any more than other brands such as Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI. Sure, maybe the board was bad, but there is not a single company that makes motherboards these days that never has bad boards.

    You can choose not to buy ASRock again if you want to, but I'm telling you that it won't affect your chances of getting a bad board even if you go with other popular companies.
  20. chris11579 said:
    My setup is the fx3850 and Asus Crosshair V Formula AMD 990FX, with 16 of corsair dominator 1866 mhz and the corsair H80i water cooler, and can hit 5ghz at 1.440 v it has had the bios flash as well my power supply is corsair 750 watts hope this helps, and i am on windows 8 pro 64bit.

    and think i may be able to go to 5.2ghz



    Hi, i have the same hardware and I can't reach OC over 4.4ghz on my fx-8350, did you made some changes on BIOS? can you share with me?
  21. The real reason why you just cannot reach 4.2 GHz is because of lack of voltage. That is the reason for your lockups and BSODs.
    Contrary to popular belief, most FX CPUs take more than 1.4V to reach 4.6 GHz, and more than 1.5V to reach 4.8 GHz. Those FX CPUs you see getting 5.0 GHz at 1.5V or below are either golden chips or FX 9 series binned. Some cannot even reach 5.0 GHz, like mine.

    I am cruising my 4.9 GHz FX 4350 at 1.60625V LLC Medium. IBT AVX 10 trials stable with 2h P95.

    1.5V at 4.5 GHz is acceptable on a board with large VDroop. People nowadays...expect a chip to overclock huge amounts without giving huge amounts of voltage and cooling.
  22. kgt1182 said:
    The real reason why you just cannot reach 4.2 GHz is because of lack of voltage. That is the reason for your lockups and BSODs.
    Contrary to popular belief, most FX CPUs take more than 1.4V to reach 4.6 GHz, and more than 1.5V to reach 4.8 GHz. Those FX CPUs you see getting 5.0 GHz at 1.5V or below are either golden chips or FX 9 series binned. Some cannot even reach 5.0 GHz, like mine.

    I am cruising my 4.9 GHz FX 4350 at 1.60625V LLC Medium. IBT AVX 10 trials stable with 2h P95.

    1.5V at 4.5 GHz is acceptable on a board with large VDroop. People nowadays...expect a chip to overclock huge amounts without giving huge amounts of voltage and cooling.


    I would hope the poster resolved his issue at some point over the last four years.
  23. How did you even find this to necro it?
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Gigabyte Motherboards AMD