I5 2500k total freeze - Urgent!

henrytowns

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
Hi,

I am completely at a loss right now.

My Build was running excellent until yesterday when i got back home and found that my computer is starting to freeze. No-not responding errors. Just no processor activity.

I turned it off and slept. Today i find out that after it starts, if i want to open any window or browser, it just does nothing. if persist, wait arrow appears. in the sidebar CPU gadet it shows 0 processor activity. After a minute or so pending tasks start to operate suddenly. But then after a few seconds, no activity.

You can imagine how bad it is, that i couldnt manage to open a single website. No matter what browser or window i open, it just freezes.

I had my 2500k at 4.5ghz. I had done the overclocking atleast 10 months ago and it never caused any issues.

I had tried all that i could: factory reset the bios settings, checked if power plugs were okay (read from a forum), updated the bios to the latest version.
It wouldnt do anything in the Safe Mode as well, so i am ruling the sudden entry of any virus out as well.

One weird thing: I managed to turn on a game. It worked perfectly except for a few freezes. But it was not supposed to work at all. It made the processors work a little. So i minimized it and started to browser through computer. No issue at all! i had to do some important work on my Java Development IDE and it allowed me to work for few hours! But as soon as i closed the game. The processes went down to 0 again! and computer is a total freeze!

This is Urgent! Thank you!

Solution
well as for a 4.5ghz oc it may be overheating i get into the 60cs when im prime 95ing and im at 4ghz. if you really in a destin to overclock it again id unplug everything re apply thermal paste and reconnect everything including power cables just to be sure there secured on then go up about 100mhz at a time till it hits 55c and dont go over 70 c i try to stay under 65

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Try running a memtest, and prime95. What is the voltage your CPU is running at? It could be that the processor simply isn't stable anymore, and you might have to bump up the voltage. Also as henydiah said, try to reset it to default settings and then run prime95, and use it to see if the issue goes away.

Hope this helps!

henrytowns

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
i did reset the settings but after that when i went into the OS, and launched a browser, the computer froze. I tried to run a game, thinking it might get the processor working but it froze completely, And nothing would work.

So i restarted several times, reset settings again and again but nothing helped. I changed the socket for the PSU connector. And it worked. I dont know at what point it worked, just before the socket change or after.

I will test it later with the PSU connector back to its original place. IF it works fine, i will do the overclocking again and see if it freezes again.

But, thanks for all the help given so far.! I will come back with more findings.

Here is a screenshot attached: i did this after the computer started to work fine. an it was taken when test 13 was still running.
14dk2dw.png

henrytowns

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

is it good? I ran it for 10 minutes only. i never used that software before.

PSU: XFX 750W Core Edition
Case: Coolermaster HAF-922
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

The rest can be seen in the profile.

But it is working okay now. But i am guessing the issue might come back, when i OC it back.

I will do that when i face the issue again. For now it seems to work. And i think it is becuase i changed the socket for the PSU connector. I dont know. It froze on me last night during skype but i am guessing it was only faulty Skype update.

if i face the issue again (after i overclock the system back to 4.5 GHZ) , i will check the northbrige heatsink, clear cmos too

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
well as for a 4.5ghz oc it may be overheating i get into the 60cs when im prime 95ing and im at 4ghz. if you really in a destin to overclock it again id unplug everything re apply thermal paste and reconnect everything including power cables just to be sure there secured on then go up about 100mhz at a time till it hits 55c and dont go over 70 c i try to stay under 65

Solution

henrytowns

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

Thanks! i am unplugging the parts right now. I will apply the thermal paste again. My OC was quite stable with Hyper 212 Plus Cooler and also i am in a very cold place called Finland. Anytime my pc heats up, all i gotta do is to open the window and let it have a fresh a air :D

henrytowns

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

I noticed the CPU fan was dirty, and even the Cooler itself had .2 inch of dust layer on it. The same with the GPU! i couldnt imagine that it could be that dirty in a seeming clean room and clean environment.

So i cleaned everything, re applied the thermal paste and ta-da! all worked. Thank you!

If you are referencing as to where you plugged in the computer to acquire home power, ("I changed the socket for the power supply connector"), this is a serious issue.

Changing the wall plugin and it started working correctly could mean the wall outlet not properly installed or wires loose, and this problem could go all the way back to the home electrical distribution panel, but tends to point to a faulty wired outlet, or swapping the plug in point would not have mattered.

Danger: If you have zero electrical experience you should get someone qualified to check it out.

Duplex outlets that have been wired with pushing the wires into the back often fail from improper connections causing losses of full power or sparking at the wire connection point, that is bad for a computer!

That wiring (Pushing the wires into the back), was time convenient but has proven over time to be not only a poor solution but a fire hazard, as the wires are only held in place by gripping fingers inside and only making contact at the gripping points, usually hard wiring directly to the securing screws solves any bad connection problems.

However if you discover this at one outlet, there's a 100% chance your whole home is wired the same, and they all need to be changed and wired properly for the safety of you and your entire family, that wiring practice has been outlawed where I live.

If the wires are pushed into the rear of the duplex outlet they need to be rewired to the screws and tightened down really good, if you kill the power to the outlet at the home panel you could do this yourself, just keep the wires as they were oriented on the same side of the outlet.

But regarding the Danger: if you have zero confidence or experience in doing this get a professional to check it for you!

If it's happened once, it will happen again, and maybe take your computer out completely the next time!