Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Hard disk recovery forum

Last response: in Storage
February 16, 2012 7:19:33 PM

Hello,
I was running a defragging program yesterday on my 1TB external USB disk and minimized the program. When I wanted to shut down the computer, I put it on Hibernate mode forgetting that I had the defragging program running. Today upon start up of the computer, I did not attach the external drive till it started up. The problem is that the disk is now unreadable! I tried (still trying) various programs to attempt to recover the data but in every program so far, it just shows the size of the whole disk and says that is needs to be formatted. Windows does not see the disk in Windows Explorer. Should I reformat the disk then recover the data? The disk is very full, approximately 700GB of data in it and Recovering all the data would be difficult to sort out! I need to know the best procedure to proceed with. I am running Windows 7.
Thanks!
Tomi
a c 326 G Storage
February 16, 2012 7:28:46 PM

Reformatting the disk will not help you recover the data. The less you do to the disk, new writes to it, the better for potential recovery. I would try to recover the partition first to see if you can avoid having to do individual file recovery: http://www.easeus.com/partition-recovery/
Score
a b G Storage
February 16, 2012 7:29:07 PM

If you reformat, it's just going to be harder to recover. If you need the data that badly, you should take it to a professional and pay them to do it. Disconnecting the disk in the middle of a defrag is going to do seriously bad things to your data.
Score
Related resources
February 16, 2012 7:51:03 PM

RealBeast said:
Reformatting the disk will not help you recover the data. The less you do to the disk, new writes to it, the better for potential recovery. I would try to recover the partition first to see if you can avoid having to do individual file recovery: http://www.easeus.com/partition-recovery/

Thank you for your input! I have tried to use the Easeus Partition Master program but was not able to get any desirable result. Right now I am running VirtualLab and it is taking a long time but I am going to let it finish. I have just downloaded The Easeus Recovery Program with your suggestion and will try that after VirtualLab has finished running. Assuming that it could not do anything.

Again, thank you for your assistance and I hope to be able to do the same some day!
Sincerely,
Tomi
Score
a c 326 G Storage
February 16, 2012 7:54:12 PM

Sorry to hear that, it will probably be a long file by file process now.

Good luck and use this as a chance to disable the disease known as Windows hibernation/sleep, etc.
Score
January 23, 2013 5:10:45 AM

Format is not the solution for it because the reliability of software matters in it. SO there is certain options through which you can recover your data but do not overwrite data on it. Recovery software will do recover your data, make search for diskdoctors and also you can get free assistance from it.
Score
!