Sign in with
Your question

I7 930 temps

Last response: in CPUs
April 19, 2010 2:06:05 AM

Hey guys running Prime95 and im getting about 88c under load for my stock I7 930. I just changed the ram settings from 1066 to 1333 and am running prime to make sure its stable however i noticed these high temps when using HW-Monitor and real temp. Im using the stock intel cooler and i applied a thin coat of AS5. I have 1 top fan and 1 rear fan and i would say my room temp is about 75 ferenheit. heres some pics to hlep you guys out, any ideas or is this chip just hot under load?

Are my voltages to high i didnt mess with my cpu everything is set to auto in my bios its a asus p6t se, any way last time ive seen temps like these was with my prescott. here's a screen:

More about : 930 temps

a b à CPUs
April 19, 2010 2:09:33 PM

QUICK!!! stop testing. HIGH TEMPS!

ok now serious: yes those temps are high, max you should be seeing is around 62 C.

get a bigger cooler, simple as that.
April 24, 2010 9:19:30 PM

ok i dropped the intel turbo boost and dropped the voltage to 1.0v the system runs stable at 2.8 ghz and 62 degrees celcius at max load now, the old voltage was 1.22222 with intel turbo boost on and running at 2.9ghz crazy how little voltage can make 30 degree change
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2010 12:21:43 PM

yep, quite amazing. Voltage is the biggest contributor to temperature.

anyways If you want more performance I would highly recommend getting an aftermarket cooler.
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2010 12:24:43 PM

You do not want your temps to go above 75°C. A good aftermarket cooler I recommend is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.
May 1, 2010 10:14:51 AM

waedoe said:
ok i dropped the intel turbo boost and dropped the voltage to 1.0v the system runs stable at 2.8 ghz and 62 degrees celcius at max load now, the old voltage was 1.22222 with intel turbo boost on and running at 2.9ghz crazy how little voltage can make 30 degree change

While I understand your concern for the high temps, I don't understand why you find it acceptable to turn off the baseline settings of the cpu. I'm currently running into similar temps scenarios as you, but my temps are even higher at idle. I upgraded my fan and still getting nasty high temps. I suspect the cpu is bad, a representative via Intel's website requested that I return the cpu.
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2010 10:19:23 AM

Undervolting could extend the life of your CPU.
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2010 10:24:53 PM

The stock heatsink is meant to handle stock temperature i7s - meaning it should be able to perfectly handle an i7 at stock voltages with turbo boost on.

I suspect your heatsink is not installed properly.

The push-pin configuration of HSFs (ie. the stock cooler) is notorious for being difficult to install and slipping off or not firmly in contact with the CPU. Also, why is your min temperatures also so high?

Reseat the heatsink, and reenable turbo boost. It was meant to run with TB. Then recheck your temperatures.
!