Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Amd 965 black memory controller problems

Last response: in CPUs
April 19, 2010 2:09:00 AM

Greetings Im having to send my amd 965 back to amd for the second time because of a memory controller problem. After the first time and i installed the new 965 everything worked great for about 2 weeks and now my system again is not even letting me get to my bios screen. Here is my current hardware...
Amd 965 hdz965fbgmbox
asus m4a785td-m evo
gskill f3-10666 cl7d- 4gbrh in dual channel 2 2gig sticks
wd raptor 150 hd
xfx hd4890 card
bfg 550 watt power supply

i researched all the components and online everything is compatable. I do not overclock since all i play is wow so there is not a need for me to. as far as cooling the processor has never gone beyond 45 deg c nor has the mob reached 36 deg c. so i know heat is not a problem. Any help will be very much appreciated
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
April 19, 2010 9:55:47 AM

Some newegg comments on that PSU:

Quote:
Cons: Burnt out on third startup. The situation is I bought a 4870x2 and my TOPOWER 500w is too weak, even though it worked fine. So I figured a 550 newer style from a company like BFG was all I needed. Wrong. My computer shutoff twice in games and finally burned out on the third attempt. Went back to my trusty 500w TOPOWER and am awaiting delivery on a Corsair PSU from newegg.

Quote:
Cons:Random shut-offs, inability to boot. Sent back to BFG for replacement, the new one has the same problems.

Others gave good reviews but I don't know about that PSU.
Score
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2010 9:59:20 AM

+1, not a good PSU.

seems odd that you've built such a nice PC and then put such a crappy PSU in there. thats the one area where you should be sure to buy a quality part.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2010 2:05:20 PM

+1 aswell, also burnt a PSU back in the day.

one moment your playing a shiny new game on a shiny new system, and the next moment you have the smoke effects from the game coming out of the back of your computer.... -.-
Score
April 19, 2010 3:59:21 PM

welshmousepk said:
+1, not a good PSU.

seems odd that you've built such a nice PC and then put such a crappy PSU in there. thats the one area where you should be sure to buy a quality part.

Thanks for the info i was under the impression that bfg was a good brand. I will give a new power supply a shot since they are not very expensive. What size do u think i should go with and brand?
Score
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2010 5:42:40 PM

with the hardware you have a 550 watt quality unit should do the trick, but i'd sooner look at something around 700+ watts just to be on the safe side, also for future upgrades.
Score
April 19, 2010 5:52:22 PM

+1 for the biggest bestest you can get. Quality over watts lasts you longer.
Score
April 20, 2010 4:39:48 AM

N.Broekhuijsen said:
with the hardware you have a 550 watt quality unit should do the trick, but i'd sooner look at something around 700+ watts just to be on the safe side, also for future upgrades.

I just went out and bought corsair 650, thank you everyone for the great info. Once i recieve my 2nd cpu ill post if that was the problem. Again thank you for all the posts
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 20, 2010 4:51:17 AM

good luck with it.

corsair make excellent PSUs so you should have no worries, and 650w is more than you need for this system.
April 27, 2010 9:54:51 PM

greetings all just to let everyone know it was the power supply that killed the processor. with my graphics card needing 500 watts alone and the processor needing 140 watts for max power the bfg 550 watt unit just could not handel it. Just recieved my new mother board from asus and new 965 black from amd today. Everthing is working great. Amd's customer support was great as was asus. Thanks to all that replied.
Score
April 27, 2010 9:55:08 PM

Best answer selected by maxshadow.
Score
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2010 12:42:18 AM

glad to know the problem is solved (for the most part anyway)
Score
!