Status
Not open for further replies.

roverprince

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Hi There to everyone.

Right Now I am using AMD athlon x2 2.0 GHZ 4200+, MSI KN9GM V2 motherboard. 4 GHZ of Kingston 800 BUS DDR2 Ram, 350 Watt PSU 1 TB WD 7200 RPM HDD. I bought it nearly 2 and half year ago. I thought then it was economical.

Now I want to switch to a Intel's new platform like i5 or i7. I have been confused because of the reviews and working of p55 and x58 chip-sets. Well I need your kind opinion to build a pc. Well I am not a fully dedicated gamer, but I do love when I see in reviews that a processor is being over clocked to 4 GHZ or more. Well I am not in US or Europe I live in Pakistan and here finding Good hardware is very Hard. I wished to buy and x58 motherboard (P6X58D Premium) from Asus but I was told by the importer that I won't be available till next 6 months.

Now coming to my question, I want a pc that could save me a few buck and perform at the par of the best available right now. Well my choice of hardware has been a confusion for me. What I opt is :

Processor: i5 750 or i7 860 (thought in many reviews they are toe to toe)
Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E PRO

PSU: 500 Watt Coolermaster
Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 TWIN KIT 2X2048-1333 (1GBX2) that is for right now ( I'll add more ram to it in 2 or 3 moths)
GPU: HIS 4890 TI PCX 1GB (256-BITS) DDR5 ( As I know DX11 Games are not in market and I did not see any significant change in performance when compared it with 5xxx of ATI, As 5770 is almost of same price to 4890 but performance is very low as compare to 4890)
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Two Fan cooler

in my country it prices Rs 72,000 i.e 830 USD.

Well thats my thinking for now as for x58 we have only two MOBOs available that is p6t and p6t deluxe v2 and I don't thing gulftown will run on any of these as asus only claimed to run 6 cores on P6X58D mobos. Also even if Gulftown is out it wont be less that 800$ so what gig deal ?

If i look into my heart I love x58 but limitation of mobos, (I wish I could find a trustworthy vendor who could sent me mobo of my choice to Pakistan).

Well People I hope u can let me reach a conclusion.

A lot of thanks in advance.

Solution
i would avoid the coolermaster PSU and get a corsair.

the PSU is the most important part of a system and the last thing to skimp on. so i would really reccomend getting a high quality unit like a corsair vx550.

in regards to the processor, it just comes down to if you want hyprethreading. the i5 750 and i7860 are essentially the same processor. just the i7 has hyperthreading. HT is useless for gaming, but can help out in encoding or compression tasks.

i would also recommend the 5770 over the 4890. performance is closer than you might think, and with driver improvements the gap will clsoe even more. the 5770 is cooler, quieter and more energy efficient also. plus, when dx11 takes off (which will happen pretty quickly) it will bring...

welshmousepk

Distinguished
i would avoid the coolermaster PSU and get a corsair.

the PSU is the most important part of a system and the last thing to skimp on. so i would really reccomend getting a high quality unit like a corsair vx550.

in regards to the processor, it just comes down to if you want hyprethreading. the i5 750 and i7860 are essentially the same processor. just the i7 has hyperthreading. HT is useless for gaming, but can help out in encoding or compression tasks.

i would also recommend the 5770 over the 4890. performance is closer than you might think, and with driver improvements the gap will clsoe even more. the 5770 is cooler, quieter and more energy efficient also. plus, when dx11 takes off (which will happen pretty quickly) it will bring a host if performance incresing techniques that will further improve performance.

Solution

roverprince

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

I get very sad to say that, currently we only have the cooler masters there. There is corsair too but it's non modular will it work if I buy that one. CORSAIR (NON-MODULAR) 750 WATTS SLI READY (TX750W)

When I compare the i5 750 even with i7 920 under single GPU I did not see any significant performance shift while comparing them both on various tasks. Further the cost vs performance competition also put i5 750 on a prioritize end.

Well I love your words about 5770 and surely I didn't thought that a driver upgrade surely boosts ths GPU performance.

No one suggested the mobo to me.

http://galaxy.pk/

It's amongst the leading ones out there. a mixup you can say. Well but they do have a lot of stuff.

roverprince

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

Well gaming isn't all what a processor should do, right now I own the Athlon X2 but when I see Phenom X4 965 BE working against the i5 or i7 I don't love it. Though I just love AMD reason is nothing just the name u can say ! or anything else I don't know but under the current ground realities, my country's climate is very hot most of time usually touches 45C and one thing I do know is Phenoms get very hot I mean very very hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.