What file does windows 7 use to store a user profile

johnhyman

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hello,
I am trying to migrate Windows 7 from a HDD to a
new SSD using Paragon Migrate to SSD software. It is slow, cumbersome, and after three days of trying to get it right the User Profile Service Fails the Logon. Tech support at Paragon suggests copying the user profile onto the new SSD. Where do I find this folder? And what is the filename I should be looking for?

User profiles are stored in the C:\Users folder tree, but you're better off using the "Windows Easy Transfer" tool, see: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

But frankly I'm a little skeptical that's the problem. The user profile service is the thing that manages profiles, AFAIK it doesn't itself require a profile to run.

If I were you I'd just install Windows and your other software onto the SSD from scratch and use the Easy Transfer tool to move your stuff from the old drive. That's what I did when I migrated to an SSD, and I found that the install went much quicker than I expected because of the speed of the drive.

johnhyman

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

Thank you for sharing your insight. I am unfamilar with Windows Easy Transfer but will check it out.