I think my pc is killing my graphics cards

Sighouf

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
So the thing is that about 2 weeks ago my 8800 died after about 2 years, so i decided to buy the Radeon 5750 so i got home and installed it.

When i booted up my computer it took like 30 seconds for the beep sound to appear and the computer started posting, i figured it couldnt be that bad so just thought to myself what ever.
This kept on everytime i started my pc but i didnt think too much about it.

About a week later I woke up and started my pc and after like 1 min I got a beep code wich was 1 long followed by 3 short beeps and nothing happened after that so i looked up the beep code and it said that either the card wasnt isntalled correctly or there was something wrong with the memmory

So i tried my old card wich btw works as long as im not playing any games.
And it booted up fine.

So i took the card to the place i bought and they told me it was broken and gave me a new one.

When i installed that card it's still taking like 30 seconds before the beep sound and the computer starts posting. so i got a little worried but never the less just let the pc finish and started playing hon.
Later that day some of the models ingame started to become transparent, and i thought that it must be just a bug in the game cause its still in beta.
Then more and more models started vanishing and after a while i thought i saw a little graphics bug starting to appear, some lines everywhere so i turned the game of immidiatly.

Sorry for long post before getting to the main question but is it possible that the graphics cards i put in my pc keep on dieing.

My specs are:

Cpu: Intel e8400
4 gigs of ram
800w powersupply from gigabyte called odin
Mobo: Asus p5n e-sli.
Windows 7 64bit
And ofcourse Ati Radeon 5750.

Thank you very much for any insight.

Have you ever changed any of the BIOS settings, Changed the PCI-E voltage before??

Also have you monitored the temps under load? if so what are they?

Latest drivers from ATi's website?

Maybe try the card in someone elses PC and see if the same problem occurs

Sighouf

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
None of the bios settings have been changed except for the boot order.

Do you mean to check the temperture in the bios, if thats what you mean than no and i will check it out now.

I have the latest drivers or atleast the were the latest a week ago.

And the old card was tried on another PC's and declered dead.
The reason the found was that it was not showing images on the screen.
Or actually the monitor just wont find it.

No sorry i wasnt clear, I mean in windows, when your playing a game and the card is under load.

If you download a program called Furmark which will put load on your 5750 and then monitor your temps with a program called GPU-Z

make sure your temps don't go above 90C

Sighouf

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I am currently running furmark.

the heat started out at 48°C and has reached 68°C and seems to have stopped increasing.

Also im not sure on what the Fans speed should be but its only ad 42% and started out at 36%
Is that normal?

On the other hand its running pretty smoothly with a 42 fps average

Sighouf

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I have only seen it happen 1 time on this card, but that might have been due to a bug in the game.

My main concern is that the other card died without any notice except that it took the PC like 30 seconds to start posting and that is still happening on my new card.

Do you know why that is.
Or is that normal.

Also i came across a threat where someone had the same problem and someone suggested (if i understood correctly) that the DVI connector might be screwed in too tightly and was damaging the DVI adapter. Is that a possibility.

jive

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Hi ,

To be honnest it's pretty hard to get a diagnostics, that problem occur one time only. I understand your shaky because your old card kaboum after only two years, but with the information you said I can only recommend the usal as anyone else... latest driver, check temp, reset the card... After that it's pretty hard to help you more and I'm greatly sorry about that.

good luck with your new card.

Sighouf

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I'm sorry if I'm sounding unclear my English is not to good, but my Nvidia 8800 died after about 2 years than i bought a Radeon 5750 witch died in about 5 days and then i saw this happen on my new 5750 witch i got as a replacement

whats concerning me most is that everytime I turn on my PC im waiting for about 30 seconds praying on my knees that it will start and i wont get the error code i got when my first 5750 died

cooltothemax

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
nothing is broken, just bad motherboard with incompatible graphic card, here's my same experience

Hi, i just wanted to share my bad experience with asus, so you guys know. I'm a P5N-E SLI owner who experienced problem with newly acquired ATI graphic card.

So here's my conversation with asus support (all copy paste, no modifications!)

ME: [Problem Description]
When i boot my computer, i got no signal to my monitor (4 beeps), then if i hit reset
after the windows startup sound, computer reboot and it works. Problem started when
i bought my video card, but this motherboard is supposed to be compatible, i've check
before buying.

And when i do a research on internet, i find lots of peoples with exact same problem
as me with same motherboard, but not always same video card. Anything i could do?

ASUS: Hello
In this situation,please move the video card to another PCIe slot to see if the same
problem.
If no effort,please clear CMOS and try again.

ME: Hi, i've switched my video card to another pcie, but as soon as i've boot, there was 4
beeps. And it never worked, even after rebooting. So i have put back the video card to
original slot. I cleared CMOS, but didnt work neither. Any other suggestion? It is
supposed to be compatible with ATI graphics...

ASUS: In this situation, please first try to have a further check with your vendor, if possible. If this is not possible, you will need to contact our RMA department for assistance as follows:
1) If you have Internet access, you can visit this website:
http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx
to request an RMA.
Please include your name, mailing address, telephone number, and the serial number of your product.
2) Also, you could call our RMA department at 812-282-2787 (Hours: 5:30am ?9:00pm(PST) support) select option 2 then option 2. Please have the serial number of your ASUS product handy when you call.

ME: mb wont boot with new ati video card, 5850, gotta press reset to make it work

ASUS: Unfortunately according to your serial number you are out of warranty as of Aug 2010.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

ME: i understand that i am not under warranty, perhaps, my motherboard isnt broken, it is
just not doing what it is supposed to do. If you buy something that is supposed to do
a thing, and that in fact cant, then why say it can? It would be actually fraudulous, I am
not trying to do crossfire, i am not stupid, this is a sli mb, i am only trying to do a single
pcie x16 ATI video card. If you tell me again that i am out of warranty, i'll make sure to
post on every forums about this problem what you have replied to me, as stupid as it
is written, and make sure i'll never buy from asus again, same for my friends and
family. I got 4 computers at home, mostly asus. I hope it is now clear. If you think you
cant handle this, then please ask your boss. There is no such thing in the asus
website where it says this motherboard doesnt support ATI video cards.

ASUS: Then you will need to submit a ticket for tech support or call the tech support line at 812-282-2787 opt 2. I have pasted a link below to submit a ticket online. Have a nice day!

http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx

ME: after buying an ATI Radeon 5850, i got lots of problems with my p5n-e sli. When i boot my computer, i gotta press reset to at windows startup to make my computer works. I have reseted cmos, tried the other pci-e slot, but nothing works. I have already contacted asus support, then asus rma, who told me to get to you again (see the conversation following this). Any idea or solutions?

Still unanswered, after more than 2 weeks...

I hope you have read this, i'm getting annoyed with this...

cya
Max