Intel D510MO with SI3114 SATA-PCI hardlocks

Slyboots

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I've run into a unusual problem with a new system build I designed.

Currently running a Intel D510MO motherboard with a Silicon Image 3114 PCI-SATA card, but when I try to boot a 64bit version of an OS (In this case FreeNAS) the machine hard-locks just as the kernel is about to boot if I have any disks attached to the PCI-SATA card.

This happens in FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Ubuntu, but only on the x64 versions of the OS (32bit appears to operate fine). I've tried updating the bios on the motherboard and flashing the latest firmware to the sata-card as well as swapping out other components of the system (the ram and so forth), testing the card on another machine (which appears to work fine)

Im working on the assumption that it is some sort of conflict between the motherboard and the Si1334 chipset but.. not sure what to do next? Try another brand of Sata-PCI?

LEDominator

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

I ran into that problem as well, but booting into windows home server. I have the same chipset in my system as well, but if I remove three of the drives out of the 4 sata ports it boots up fine. I have the latest bios as well, and this problem started after flashing to it so I think it is some kind of bios conflict.

amb

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
I am experiencing the same problem, with openSUSE 11.4 Linux.

I flashed the D510MO motherboard to the latest BIOS (v5.42) and it does not fix the issue. The RAID board I am using is an Addonics ADSA4R-E (4-port PCI-eSATA) with the Silicon Image SiI3114 chip.

If the external eSATA disk array is powered up when the system boots, it will get past the POST and the disk drives will appear in the eSATA BIOS list, but then it will hang when loading the grub bootloader.

I work around it by keeping the external disk array box powered off when booting. Then, when the grub bootloader is loaded and displays the boot menu, I turn on the disk array. The Linux kernel boots, discovers the disk drives and everything works anyway.

This workaround probably does not apply to other SiI3114-based boards (i.e., those with internal drives) or other OS environments, and is a general nuissance. My D510MO machine is a server and runs 24x7. It has a UPS to ride through power glitches and short outages, but if a lengthy power failure occurs to cause the machine to shut down, it will not reboot normally after power returns without human intervention. I hope Intel will release a BIOS fix for this.

Mountian1

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

After the reflash, is the RAID still functional on the controller card? It seems there are two options for the BIOS, BASE or RAID.
Thanks