Sign in with
Your question
Closed

4 pin connector into 8 pin MOBO

Last response: in Components
April 19, 2010 5:22:06 AM

Hey guys, I just bought a new Motherboard, the ASUS P6X58D Premium, I haven't receive it yet, but I need to know something...
I have a PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700W, but it seems that this power supply does not comes with a 8 pin connector for the MOBO... It only comes with 2 of the 4-pin connectors so...
Could I use both of them simulating the 8 pin connector?... OR could I use ONLY 1 4-pin connector? and leaving 4 pins disabled...

Thanks for your help guys...

System INFO:
Processor - Intel i7 930
Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D Premium
RAM - 3x2 GB Corsair Dominator
Video - ATI Radeon 5770
POWER SUPPLY - OCZ GameXstream 700W

More about : pin connector pin mobo

a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2010 5:53:01 AM

Personally, I wouldn't try using only one 4-pin. Instead use the full 8. The 8-pin connector sometimes come so it can be separated in half in case your motherboard only requires a 4-pin. Since you are going to need the 8-pin, the halves (cpu1/cpu2) should either slide or snap together somehow. Connector wise, you should be fine with what you have.
Score
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2010 6:02:16 AM

yeah, you will find the two 8 pins will have some recessed plastic that allow them to hold together. you can effectively use them as a single 8pin this way.

if your mobo has an 8pin connector, that means it requires an 8pin, so don;t try running with just a 4pin in there.
Score
Related resources
April 19, 2010 6:10:29 AM

Thanks for your answers...
Now... the connectors say this on each one: CPU 1, CPU 2, does that makes a difference???... OR it means that they are going to work as 8-pin connectors when they are plugged in together?...
Thanks
Score
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2010 6:14:53 AM

Xtrastor said:
Thanks for your answers...
Now... the connectors say this on each one: CPU 1, CPU 2, does that makes a difference???... OR it means that they are going to work as 8-pin connectors when they are plugged in together?...
Thanks

when you put them together they should only be insertable one way. there should be a small clip that will match up with a recess piece of plastic on the connector. i don't think it would matter which way you insert them (they are both the same after all) but it should be obvious which way they are meant to go, so the clips match up.
Score
April 19, 2010 12:07:34 PM

I bought the same board recently and have installed it into a tower, what was confusing to me at first was that one of the 4 pin power connections the op was talking about was covered by a cap. But according to the manual an 8 pin power connector is required and yes a 2 x 4 power connector does work.
Score

Best solution

a c 248 ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2010 12:51:44 PM

The reason power supplies come with two 4 pin connectors instead of one 8 pin connector is that some motherboards require just a 4 pin connection and some boards require the full 8 pin connection. By splitting the auxiliary power cable into two 4 pin power connections the psu manufacturers have it covered both ways. It works on the same principle as the 20+4 motherboard power connector and the 6+2 PCI-e power cables.
August 29, 2010 3:03:31 AM

Best answer selected by Xtrastor.
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2010 12:51:08 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!