Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

BFG 9800 gt power consumption

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 3, 2010 6:05:00 PM

Hello,
I just replaced my graphics card (old one had the fan lock up and fried the gpu) got the bfg 9800gt, dont know if the old card frying did something to the psu but when I play ME2 for about an hour the whole system shuts down, the green led on the psu goes out so I guessing it overheated, after a while being unplugged the system will restart. whole point of this is that if your old card went bad it may have damaged your psu (oh btw mine is 350w) and the 9800 may cause it to overheat like mine. Just a little food for thought.
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 6:35:47 PM

It is not the 9800GT that is causing the PSU to overheat, it is the low-watt 350w PSU that is not supplying anough power to the 9800GT and it seems that it is overheating in the process.

Get a 400w or more PSU by a reputable brand (Corsair, OCZ) and you'll be fine...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 6:57:01 PM

You didnt post any of the information on your power supply. A high quality 350w could handle a 9800GT just fine, but a low quality one probably would not be enough for it.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 7:05:01 PM

deadlockedworld said:
You didnt post any of the information on your power supply. A high quality 350w could handle a 9800GT just fine, but a low quality one probably would not be enough for it.



indeed, but in this case, clearly it is the PSU that is not supplying enough power. My guess here is that it is an OEM machine like Dell or HP...
m
0
l
February 3, 2010 7:11:44 PM

Yep, that's the case. HP m9515y, stock psu. I think I'll scrounge thru my old carcasses, I'm pretty sure I had one the used a 650w for an (at the time) MASSIVE video card. If that don't do it, nothing will! lol
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 3, 2010 7:35:05 PM

If it is the 55nm version with the 6pin which I personally use it will do well with a 400w psu if nothing is draining the unit in that case you should be ok. Avoid the green or E editions since they have issues with boards.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 12:07:03 AM

jonpaul37 said:
indeed, but in this case, clearly it is the PSU that is not supplying enough power. My guess here is that it is an OEM machine like Dell or HP...


Your quotation and "but in this case" implies you are disagreeing with me when in fact we were in complete agreement.

I second the corsair 400cx. I have it and its very good--runs quiet and cool. Its more than enough for a 9800GT and a good bargain at $39 after MIR.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 12:23:45 AM

nforce4max said:
If it is the 55nm version with the 6pin which I personally use it will do well with a 400w psu if nothing is draining the unit in that case you should be ok. Avoid the green or E editions since they have issues with boards.


I have a 9800 GT E edition - the econo power one - from BFG and have been happy with its performance. What issues have they been having with boards? Any links you know of that I can review? Just in case something turns up later...
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 12:52:44 AM

rockyjohn said:
I have a 9800 GT E edition - the econo power one - from BFG and have been happy with its performance. What issues have they been having with boards? Any links you know of that I can review? Just in case something turns up later...



There has been plenty of complaints but it is usually the result of poor quality manufacturing of the card or the mainboard which usually means that the slot doesn't provide the power to the card or there is a chip set issue (older boards) but it is not worth the trouble to buy these cards. I much rather have a steady source of power strait from the psu. That is why I liked my 7800gs when I had it and was a damn fine agp card before I moved over to what I use today.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2010 11:33:59 AM

deadlockedworld said:
Your quotation and "but in this case" implies you are disagreeing with me when in fact we were in complete agreement.

I second the corsair 400cx. I have it and its very good--runs quiet and cool. Its more than enough for a 9800GT and a good bargain at $39 after MIR.



heh, maybe i mis-interpreted, i was just pointing out that it was not a high-quality PSU, there rarely are "high-quality" 350w PSU's when it comes to Tom's posters, 99/100 they are referring to the low quality OEM-proprietary PSU that comes with an HP/Dell/Gateway...

I really am going to start my own PC business one day and STILL i will offer better product than DELL/HP, etc for much less, mark my words...
m
0
l
!