BFG 9800 gt power consumption

Sepiaman

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Hello,
I just replaced my graphics card (old one had the fan lock up and fried the gpu) got the bfg 9800gt, dont know if the old card frying did something to the psu but when I play ME2 for about an hour the whole system shuts down, the green led on the psu goes out so I guessing it overheated, after a while being unplugged the system will restart. whole point of this is that if your old card went bad it may have damaged your psu (oh btw mine is 350w) and the 9800 may cause it to overheat like mine. Just a little food for thought.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
It is not the 9800GT that is causing the PSU to overheat, it is the low-watt 350w PSU that is not supplying anough power to the 9800GT and it seems that it is overheating in the process.

Get a 400w or more PSU by a reputable brand (Corsair, OCZ) and you'll be fine...

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

indeed, but in this case, clearly it is the PSU that is not supplying enough power. My guess here is that it is an OEM machine like Dell or HP...

Sepiaman

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Yep, that's the case. HP m9515y, stock psu. I think I'll scrounge thru my old carcasses, I'm pretty sure I had one the used a 650w for an (at the time) MASSIVE video card. If that don't do it, nothing will! lol

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Your quotation and "but in this case" implies you are disagreeing with me when in fact we were in complete agreement.

I second the corsair 400cx. I have it and its very good--runs quiet and cool. Its more than enough for a 9800GT and a good bargain at $39 after MIR.

rockyjohn

Distinguished

I have a 9800 GT E edition - the econo power one - from BFG and have been happy with its performance. What issues have they been having with boards? Any links you know of that I can review? Just in case something turns up later...

There has been plenty of complaints but it is usually the result of poor quality manufacturing of the card or the mainboard which usually means that the slot doesn't provide the power to the card or there is a chip set issue (older boards) but it is not worth the trouble to buy these cards. I much rather have a steady source of power strait from the psu. That is why I liked my 7800gs when I had it and was a damn fine agp card before I moved over to what I use today.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

heh, maybe i mis-interpreted, i was just pointing out that it was not a high-quality PSU, there rarely are "high-quality" 350w PSU's when it comes to Tom's posters, 99/100 they are referring to the low quality OEM-proprietary PSU that comes with an HP/Dell/Gateway...

I really am going to start my own PC business one day and STILL i will offer better product than DELL/HP, etc for much less, mark my words...