Sign in with
Your question

Is this a memory problem.

Last response: in Memory
September 20, 2010 4:55:27 PM

On the internet some video clips you can not down load, i have got an app called 'cam studio' so i tried to use this the problem is the video playing on the net is ok (while im recoring it with cam studio) but when i play back the saved recorded video file (avi) its jerky, iv set the settings in cam studio to its highest quality, but i am thinking it might be a memory problem as iv only got 512mb at the moment, do you think this is the cause or could it be someething else. Thanks

More about : memory problem

a c 347 } Memory
September 20, 2010 5:09:18 PM

No, it is either your GPU or bad encoding of the video via "cam studio." To verify try the encoded video on another PC - if it runs okay then your GPU more than likely is the problem.
a c 163 } Memory
September 20, 2010 7:53:53 PM

Hi adny g and welcome to Tom's hardware forum.

Before u check all the jaquitg's suggestions Do u have the correct codes for play the video without problems?
Related resources
a c 347 } Memory
September 20, 2010 8:14:34 PM

^ It is a "movie" "screen capture" app - http://camstudio.org/ - Jerky suggested FPS capture rate or encoding/rendering issue. My suggestions R/O cause.

How simple is it to play the AVI on another PC??!!
a c 347 } Memory
September 20, 2010 8:15:16 PM

@daint19 it's Jaquith! copy/paste.
September 20, 2010 9:49:21 PM

andy g said:
On the internet some video clips you can not down load, i have got an app called 'cam studio' so i tried to use this the problem is the video playing on the net is ok (while im recoring it with cam studio) but when i play back the saved recorded video file (avi) its jerky, iv set the settings in cam studio to its highest quality, but i am thinking it might be a memory problem as iv only got 512mb at the moment, do you think this is the cause or could it be someething else. Thanks

To answer some of your suggestions, i have got k-lite and something called ffdshow on my pc i have also got ashampoo snap 3 which is similar to studio cam but the recorded video is in wma or wmv file format and that does the same (jerky playback) i have got another pc (its not connected to the net) iv played these video files (from camstudio) on that one and something weird happened only the audio played on all my players except VLC player and it was still jerky, i had to convert it to mpeg 1, still jerky. Whats R/O cause (Re: jaquith)
a c 347 } Memory
September 20, 2010 10:14:51 PM

Okay, it is a rendering problem, and 0.5GB + old GPU is more than likely the cause. Capture of ~25 FPS requires a lot of resources {CPU, GPU, RAM} in addition to help reduce the jerky capture - run MSCONFIG and uncheck [ ] as many Service & Startup's as possible, and disable {risk} your AV {anti-virus} during capture.
September 20, 2010 10:24:14 PM

oh my graphics card is a nvidia gforce4 mx440 and the driver is dated 2004 is it worth updating this driver and can anything go wrong. iv got to say iv only just started using this site and you are very quick answering thank you all for your info and time
September 20, 2010 10:31:41 PM

oh my graphics card is a nvidia gforce4 mx440 and the driver is dated 2004 is it worth updating this driver and can anything go wrong. iv got to say iv only just started using this site and you are very quick answering thank you all for your info and time. i think i might have wrote this twice sorry all.
a c 347 } Memory
September 20, 2010 10:34:33 PM

Before anyone goes for the AGP thing, my old ATI AIW use to record live TV.

You can try, but I doubt it will do much good {drivers}. If you are trying to "capture" Movies, etc - chances are someone already "has it." You'd be better off with something like Limewire or a similar P2P software and "capture" movies that way...
September 20, 2010 10:45:38 PM

ok, iv got 'frostwire' installed a bit worried about viruses iv heard there are a lot on these kind of things, will have to learn how to use u torrent heard it is safer (Re: there is a lot of comments telling you if its a dodgy file or not) anyway thanks again all how come the time on this post says 6.45 its midnght where i am.
September 20, 2010 10:59:03 PM

no frostwire it was set up by people who used to work for limewire they say its safer and like the pro version of limewire and no ads for you to upgrade. iv got AGV but its the free version.
a c 347 } Memory
September 20, 2010 11:14:58 PM

^ Thanks! I paid for Pro - been using it since it came out.
!