Wanting physx on my dragon

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
ok i have an old gtx 260 from my last pc im trying to figure out if i can have it in my pcie 4x slot for physx only i have 2 5870's in my system atm

AMW1011

Distinguished
Ok, PhysX is useless. It only creates some cheap effects in 4 games and will be replaced by compute shaders in DX11 games in the future. Just sell you GTX 260, PhysX isn't worth the effort much less what you could get for a GTX 260, $120+ on ebay.

There is no harm in giving it a shot to see for yourself if you like the effect or not. Of course you need to be playing a game with physX effects in it for you to notice.

I have done this myself, and one added benefit to the dedicated physX card, is that it performs excellent at extending your desktop without some of the disadvantages normal seen with a 5870 on it's own.

Here is a guide to follow: http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/633137-guide-enable-ati-nvidia-physx-single.html

If you find you don't find it useful, you can always take it out. There is no harm in testing different systems if you already have the parts in hand.

AMW1011

Distinguished

He could easily sell it for $120+ on ebay.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
amw1011 i own the card and if it will give me a boost then theres no reason to sell it... im trying to boost my performance in all games even the ones that use physx thats why im askin if i was worried about money in my computer i wouldnt of just droped almost 2 grand to build an amd rig

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Man, I really hate chocolate ice cream... Everyone must hate it too right? I mean why would you eat that filth when you can sell it for good money instead of enjoying it, since it would logically be impossible to enjoy something I don't.

Stop having so much fun everyone!! It offends me to the soul!

Bah humbug to computer enthusiasts enthusiastically playing with computers..

AMW1011

Distinguished

The point I was making was that PhysX is a non-issue. It wont increase your performance, it will add some cheap effects in 4 aging games. In a year, it will be totally dead and replaced by DX11 and its compute shaders, which won't be used much either for a good long while. If you don't care about the money, then that is fine, just be sure that you understand that you are basically getting nothing with that extra GTX 260.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

That list is deceiving as it includes all games that use physX in general, not just those that support GPU acceleration. The list of those that can be used with the GPU is not very long indeed, but will probably get longer.. That said, batman does look neat with it.

^+1

This is quite true. Dragon Age: Origins also had PhysX for about 1 day, but it was crashing a ton of machines, so they disabled it, and unfortunately it's never returned. Gothic 3 doesn't have physX either, and is poorly coded (it's implimentation of shader 3.0 doesn't work on ATI cards, which makes me believe it's not using DX9.0c to utilize it). Risen also doesn't have anything special, and many others.

I hope not; Compute Shader CAN be used for Physics, but there won't be any universal standard to follow. Every developer will come up with their own unique implementation, and we'll be right back here again wondering why only a handful of games have any decent physics effects.

It's more likely someone will put it together in a nice physics package and sell it for use.

But who would buy a physics package on a free implementation?

I also point out, using compute shaders in particular locks any physics package to DirectX, which I point out, only PC's and the M$ 360 use. Major disentive right there, as that excludes non-M$ consoles, apple, linux, Iphone, etc.

They already create graphic engines. Most games are created using pre programmed graphic engines. Just like PhysX and Havoc are physics engines sold for use in many games we use today.

It makes logical sense that someone else will create another physics engine with DX11 features or they could be added into an existing physics engine. They might even mimic engines that dev's are already familiar with and add a few features of their own, so it's easy to use.