Add a Wireless Router to existing Cable Router?

tom57

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004
I have a 4-port ethernet network, running through a Linksys BEFSX41 cable router. I would like to expand the network by connecting a Belkin F5D7130 wireless network access point. Can anyone suggest how to do this, and/or tell me if it's possible?

Thanks

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
The acess point should have came with instuction booklet, read the installtion part about the cd needs to be installed first to be able to use the configuration application that came on the cd. it real easy just follow the steps.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Nothing to do on the AP really unless you want to configure security. It's merely a passthrough device. A wireless hub. Cat5 from switched port on the router to the ethernet port on the AP. Wa-la. It's active and broadcasting. Odd you'd need software to communicate with the AP. Should be able to type in an IP in your browser but with Belkin I guess I'm not all that suprised. Bottom dweller hardware but as long as you don't expect miracles out of the coverage and don't get too upset when it cacks on you, you should be fine. Read the manual to configure encryption, MAC filtering, turning off SSID broadcasts etc..