Small Laptop Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm looking to buy a laptop in the next month. I don't plan to use it that
often, but I've found that I really need it for work. What I'm looking for
is something really small so I can bring it on trips and to the datacenter
with no problems. Small is the real key, performance comes secondary. I've
been looking at the following laptops:

Fujitsu LifeBook B2630
Sony X505
IBM X40

Does anyone have any recommendations or comments on these models or any
others? Again, I'm not looking for a desktop replacement with a monstrous
screen, I'm looking for a "tool" to get my work done when a desktop just
isn't available.

I look forward to your help!

Michael

Fujitsu P7010D or B3020D.

dk

"Michael" <michaeln@twentyten.org> wrote in message
> I'm looking to buy a laptop in the next month. I don't plan to use it
that
> often, but I've found that I really need it for work. What I'm looking
for
> is something really small so I can bring it on trips and to the datacenter
> with no problems. Small is the real key, performance comes secondary.
I've
> been looking at the following laptops:
>
> Fujitsu LifeBook B2630
> Sony X505
> IBM X40
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations or comments on these models or any
> others? Again, I'm not looking for a desktop replacement with a monstrous
> screen, I'm looking for a "tool" to get my work done when a desktop just
> isn't available.
>
> I look forward to your help!
>

> Michael

Jim

So far, after 4 months, I'm pretty delighted with my Sony TR3A.

In article <10hqoop6vgnjs73@corp.supernews.com>, michaeln@twentyten.org says...

Michael wrote:

> I'm looking to buy a laptop in the next month. I don't plan to use it that
> often, but I've found that I really need it for work. What I'm looking for
> is something really small so I can bring it on trips and to the datacenter
> with no problems. Small is the real key, performance comes secondary. I've
> been looking at the following laptops:
>
> Fujitsu LifeBook B2630
> Sony X505
> IBM X40
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations or comments on these models or any
> others? Again, I'm not looking for a desktop replacement with a monstrous
> screen, I'm looking for a "tool" to get my work done when a desktop just
> isn't available.

Don't forget the Dell X300.

Notan

"Michael" <michaeln@twentyten.org> wrote in message
> I'm looking to buy a laptop in the next month. I don't plan to use it that
> often, but I've found that I really need it for work. What I'm looking for
> is something really small so I can bring it on trips and to the datacenter
> with no problems. Small is the real key, performance comes secondary. I've
> been looking at the following laptops:
>
> Fujitsu LifeBook B2630
> Sony X505
> IBM X40
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations or comments on these models or any
> others? Again, I'm not looking for a desktop replacement with a monstrous
> screen, I'm looking for a "tool" to get my work done when a desktop just
> isn't available.
>
> I look forward to your help!
>

> Michael

Another one that looks good is the Portable One UX
http://www.laptopsinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=UXM5P&Category_Code=P1UX&Product_Count=0

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:55:51 -0700,
Michael <michaeln@twentyten.org> wrote:
> I'm looking to buy a laptop in the next month. I don't plan to use it that
> often, but I've found that I really need it for work. What I'm looking for
> is something really small so I can bring it on trips and to the datacenter
> with no problems. Small is the real key, performance comes secondary. I've
> been looking at the following laptops:
>
> Fujitsu LifeBook B2630
> Sony X505
> IBM X40
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations or comments on these models or any
> others? Again, I'm not looking for a desktop replacement with a monstrous
> screen, I'm looking for a "tool" to get my work done when a desktop just
> isn't available.

I just finished a similar search, and chose a Fujitsu Lifebook
P7010. If you would like to see a comparison table I made of the
computers I thought were possibilities, please visit:

http://heise.nu/notebooks.doc

--
Theodore (Ted) Heise <theo@heise.nu> Bloomington, IN, USA

"Jim" <stoicREMOVEjim@aequalis.com> wrote in message
> So far, after 4 months, I'm pretty delighted with my Sony TR3A.

I can't talk about the TR3A, but personal experience with the Sony 505 was
not that good. Some interesting proprietary tech features, mediocre
performance and lots of plastic parts that were susceptible to breaking.
Terrible warranty and customer service. If you buy it, get it from a store
that will help back-up the warranty.

The IBM is solid, but also note the X31--it is an older model, but some
features are better than the X-40.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Joe Davis" <davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Jim" <stoicREMOVEjim@aequalis.com> wrote in message
> > So far, after 4 months, I'm pretty delighted with my Sony TR3A.
> >

> I can't talk about the TR3A, but personal experience with the Sony 505 was
> not that good. Some interesting proprietary tech features, mediocre
> performance and lots of plastic parts that were susceptible to breaking.
> Terrible warranty and customer service. If you buy it, get it from a
store
> that will help back-up the warranty.
>
> The IBM is solid, but also note the X31--it is an older model, but some
> features are better than the X-40.

Wow....comment on the X505 is appreciated.

Michael

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:21:54 -0400,
Jim <stoicREMOVEjim@aequalis.com> wrote:
> In article <10hqoop6vgnjs73@corp.supernews.com>, michaeln@twentyten.org says...
>> I'm looking to buy a laptop in the next month...

>> Does anyone have any recommendations or comments on these models or any
>> others?

> So far, after 4 months, I'm pretty delighted with my Sony TR3A.

The TR5A was my second choice, behind the Fujitsu P7010.

--

"Theodore Heise" <theo@heise.nu> wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:21:54 -0400,
> Jim <stoicREMOVEjim@aequalis.com> wrote:
> > In article <10hqoop6vgnjs73@corp.supernews.com>, michaeln@twentyten.org says...
> >> I'm looking to buy a laptop in the next month...
>
> >> Does anyone have any recommendations or comments on these models or any
> >> others?
>
> > So far, after 4 months, I'm pretty delighted with my Sony TR3A.
>
> The TR5A was my second choice, behind the Fujitsu P7010.
>
> --
> Theodore (Ted) Heise <theo@heise.nu> Bloomington, IN, USA

Did you check out the Portable One UX?

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 11:13:06 -0700, "Michael" <michaeln@twentyten.org>
wrote:

>"Joe Davis" <davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> The IBM is solid, but also note the X31--it is an older model, but some
>> features are better than the X-40.
>
>Wow....comment on the X505 is appreciated.

I'm pretty sure Joe was referring to the older 505 models, not the
new X505. I think some of the same comments might apply to the X505 as
well, but can't say from direct experience. I do agree that the X31
is, imo, superior to the X40 (and X505). both sacrifice too much for
their thin, lightweight form factors.
Emanuel

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 23:04:35 GMT,
Adam Helberg <sendspamhere@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Theodore Heise" <theo@heise.nu> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:21:54 -0400,
>> Jim <stoicREMOVEjim@aequalis.com> wrote:
>> > In article <10hqoop6vgnjs73@corp.supernews.com>, michaeln@twentyten.org says...

>> > So far, after 4 months, I'm pretty delighted with my Sony TR3A.
>>
>> The TR5A was my second choice, behind the Fujitsu P7010.

> Did you check out the Portable One UX?

I didn't like the larger dimensions, and the standard battery life
looked quite a bit shorter. The Dothan CPU is attractive, though.

--
Theodore (Ted) Heise <theo@heise.nu> Bloomington, IN, USA

powerBook, expensive but very hip
"Michael" <michaeln@twentyten.org> wrote in message
> I'm looking to buy a laptop in the next month. I don't plan to use it
> that
> often, but I've found that I really need it for work. What I'm looking
> for
> is something really small so I can bring it on trips and to the datacenter
> with no problems. Small is the real key, performance comes secondary.
> I've
> been looking at the following laptops:
>
> Fujitsu LifeBook B2630
> Sony X505
> IBM X40
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations or comments on these models or any
> others? Again, I'm not looking for a desktop replacement with a monstrous
> screen, I'm looking for a "tool" to get my work done when a desktop just
> isn't available.
>
> I look forward to your help!
>

> Michael

JVC has a very small laptop:
http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=MP-XP731GB&catid=100035&lid=

Some more to consider:
- Panasonic CF-W2 (probably the lightest with built-in optical, long battery
life, semi-rugged)
- Fujitsu P7010
- Toshiba Portegee R100 (might be the lightest 12.1'')

"Michael" <michaeln@twentyten.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I'm looking to buy a laptop in the next month. I don't plan to use it
that
> often, but I've found that I really need it for work. What I'm looking
for
> is something really small so I can bring it on trips and to the datacenter
> with no problems. Small is the real key, performance comes secondary.
I've
> been looking at the following laptops:
>
> Fujitsu LifeBook B2630
> Sony X505
> IBM X40
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations or comments on these models or any
> others? Again, I'm not looking for a desktop replacement with a monstrous
> screen, I'm looking for a "tool" to get my work done when a desktop just
> isn't available.
>
> I look forward to your help!
>

> Michael

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"E Brown" <epbrown01@att.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 11:13:06 -0700, "Michael" <michaeln@twentyten.org>
> wrote:
>
> >"Joe Davis" <davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> The IBM is solid, but also note the X31--it is an older model, but some
> >> features are better than the X-40.
> >
> >Wow....comment on the X505 is appreciated.
> >
> I'm pretty sure Joe was referring to the older 505 models, not the
> new X505. I think some of the same comments might apply to the X505 as
> well, but can't say from direct experience. I do agree that the X31
> is, imo, superior to the X40 (and X505). both sacrifice too much for
> their thin, lightweight form factors.

What do you mean? What do they sacrifice exactly?

This is completely a tool for work. I want to be able to carry/move
it/rotate it/prop it up with ease. Basically it's so I can go on-site and
get some work done in last-second, tight spots. It can be as slow as a
Pentium II, but if I'm going to buy a new one of course it won't be that
slow. Size and weight are the biggest things. Gotta have at least one USB
port and one RJ-45 network built in. That's about it.

Michael

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 22:57:53 -0700, "Michael" <michaeln@twentyten.org>
wrote:

>> I'm pretty sure Joe was referring to the older 505 models, not the
>> new X505. I think some of the same comments might apply to the X505 as
>> well, but can't say from direct experience. I do agree that the X31
>> is, imo, superior to the X40 (and X505). both sacrifice too much for
>> their thin, lightweight form factors.
>
>What do you mean? What do they sacrifice exactly?

The X40 features a 1.8" HDD vs. standard 2.5" for the X31. This means
smaller capacity and higher price. If HDD capacity and price are no
constraints for you, then there's no sacrifice.

Cheers, Dominique

See www.deja.com for the usual past posts on this topic.

From smaller to bigger (approximately):

Sony U50/70 series - 1lbs, doesn't get smaller than this today! 5"
screen and fits in a pant pocket, easily!
Sony U101 series - discontinued, a little bigger than the U50/70 series
and smaller than Toshiba Libretto.
JVC Interlink XP series - a touch bigger than the Libretto
Toshiba Libretto L50 through L110 models and various Japan-only models.
- discontinued, dirt-cheap on www.ebay.com for <$300.
Sony Picturebook - older models, discontinued, cheap on www.ebay.com.
Fujitsu Interlink XP & Sony TR series - 3lbs, size of a magazine cover,
the smallest you'll get with a built-in DVD burner in any laptop made today.

More models at www.conics.net and www.dynamism.com

----

Picks? If you want the absolute smallest -- Sony U50/70 series.
Cheap & small -- Toshiba Libretto 110 (though not the fastest, fine for
the basics of web surfing, email, etc.)
Fast & all-in-one -- Fujitsu Interlink XP or Sony TR series.

> >What do you mean? What do they sacrifice exactly?
>
> The X40 features a 1.8" HDD vs. standard 2.5" for the X31. This means
> smaller capacity and higher price. If HDD capacity and price are no
> constraints for you, then there's no sacrifice.
>
> Cheers, Dominique

The X31 has a better (optional) docking station, which accepts a half-length
PCI card. The X40 basically has a port replicator.

Jim

In article <10i0j763d6fnf57@corp.supernews.com>, michaeln@twentyten.org says...
> What do you mean? What do they sacrifice exactly?
>
> This is completely a tool for work. I want to be able to carry/move
> it/rotate it/prop it up with ease. Basically it's so I can go on-site and
> get some work done in last-second, tight spots. It can be as slow as a
> Pentium II, but if I'm going to buy a new one of course it won't be that
> slow. Size and weight are the biggest things. Gotta have at least one USB
> port and one RJ-45 network built in. That's about it.
>

> Michael

Well, while everyone is talking about IBM, I'll talk about my TR3A. It weighs 3.11 lbs. The
screen is a 10.6in lcd but runs at 1280 by 768 resolution. 1 gig of ram (my upgrade), 1 ghz
pentium M processor. Which is good enough for Web design and light graphics work. And plenty
of wifi internet use. When I'm at my desk, I hook it up to a Samsung 173P ext. LCD (1280 by
1024 res.), and USB keyboard.

When I'm on the road, I hardly know it's there. It's about the size of a hard cover book.

After lugging around an Inspiron 8200 (8lbs.) you'd have to pry the TR3A from my cold dead
hands.

So far the quality has held up through a driving trip from Maryland to Minnesota and a plane
trip to Boston. It rarely sits on my desk. I'm always hauling it around.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
> See www.deja.com for the usual past posts on this topic.

[snip]

I'm sure no one cares, but thanks in part to the feedback from this
newsgroup, I settled on the IBM ThinkPad X40.

Thanks guys!

Michael